Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AHHHHHHHHH! (excitement im sure you all felt waiting for your first fatbike!)

I pulled the trigger on a pugsley frame and part build today!

Frame: 16" Snowblind White Pugs
Wheels: QBP Handspun Rolling Darryl Cutout's, DT Competition Black Spokes, Black Brass 12mm nipples, XT Rear Hub, Surly SS NEW Rear QR (as front) Rear Hub
Tires: Larry 120tpi front, Endo 120tpi rear
Brakes: Shimano XT 775(?) Hydro's w/ hope rotors.
Gearing: 1x9 (until MWOD becomes available) Shimano XT 9-Speed shifter, XT 9 Speed Rear Derailer, 11-34 XT cassette, XT Chain, 34 tooth RaceFace Ano Red chain ring
BB: Gigapipe 100mm ISIS
Crank: Maximus by FSA ISIS
Seat Post: Thomson Masterpiece
Post Clamp: Salsa 30mm Red
Headset: Cane Creek 110 Ano Red
QR's: Salsa Flip-Offs SS Red
Stem: TBD Thomson Length
Bar: TBD
Grips: ESI Chunky Black
Pedals: TBD

Super stoked! Bike should be complete by 9/30. Pics to follow!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Sounds nice. But why are you waiting for the MWOD? The Pugs doesn't need it. I have the regular Mr Whirly, and I'm glad I have all 3 rings (and all 9 gears in the back) available. Also, I thought I read somewhere that a regular MW can be converted to an MWOD. True?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds nice. But why are you waiting for the MWOD? The Pugs doesn't need it. I have the regular Mr Whirly, and I'm glad I have all 3 rings (and all 9 gears in the back) available. Also, I thought I read somewhere that a regular MW can be converted to an MWOD. True?
Thanks!

I figured the MWOD may let me run BFL's on the wider rims (though I'm not sure they will clear the frame/fork yet, I haven't researched this enough)

I didn't want to buy the Surly chain-rings twice either.

Also, the DH crank and BB were dirt cheap at my shop.

So all that considered, put me where I'm at. If the tire combo I went with ends up being enough for Buffalo's winter than I may never get the MWOD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to throw it out there, but while the Shimano XT brakes are great, they perform poorly in cold temperatures. The mineral oil really thickens which really affects lever feel and leads to drag at the rotor. I had a similar brake setup and it felt terrible below 25deg F. Luckily the calipers are one piece so leaking between the caliper halves isn't as big of an issue, but they always feel crappy in low temperatures.

If you are in a warmer climate where it doesn't get that cold cool. If you live somewhere it gets colder than freezing frequently, stick to DOT based hydros, or heck, put on BB7's and get some other "bling" items.

Otherwise build looks awesome. Be prepared to have some seriously good times. Most fun bike I own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to throw it out there, but while the Shimano XT brakes are great, they perform poorly in cold temperatures. The mineral oil really thickens which really affects lever feel and leads to drag at the rotor. I had a similar brake setup and it felt terrible below 25deg F. Luckily the calipers are one piece so leaking between the caliper halves isn't as big of an issue, but they always feel crappy in low temperatures.

If you are in a warmer climate where it doesn't get that cold cool. If you live somewhere it gets colder than freezing frequently, stick to DOT based hydros, or heck, put on BB7's and get some other "bling" items.

Otherwise build looks awesome. Be prepared to have some seriously good times. Most fun bike I own.
Good info! Thank you! I live in Buffalo, NY and will have those colder temps for a few months. I'll see how it goes but BB7's are a likely easy "fix" for the real cold months. Guess it depends on how long my ride's end up being, and how cold it actually gets.

I would say I'm prepared for some good times, but that wouldn't being doing my anxious excitement justice! I just can't freaking wait to ride this thing!

I got some parts in at the shop yesterday, but nothing I can really put together. When the frame and wheels show up wednesday I'll have some pictures!

·
100+ wheel-build club
200 Posts
Brrrakes...

Agreed. Live in Wisconsin=damn cold winters! I have stock Avid BB7's with little 160mm rotors and they stop just fine and always feel the same. Really hard to ever get a fat bike going fast enough to need anything with more stopping power than your good ol' basic, stock, affordable BB7's. After all, you really gotta' be crankin' to get a Pugsley over 20 mph! You really don't any brakes at all-just go Flintstone. Once you get yourself a Fatback/Lynskey then we can discuss some high end brake options.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now I'm running Bontrager 2.1-2.5" Heavy Duty (not thorn proof) 48mm presta tubes. They are right around 300 grams. I have the ones that go up to 2.8" on order. I may try the q-tubes people recommend at some point as well, with Stan's in them.

·
100+ wheel-build club
200 Posts
I still think all those delectable parts want a "racing" frame! Fatback AL. $600. Fatback carbon fork $400. ZOOM. Oops, gonna' need more wheels. (170mm R. hub). But also build-up the P:thumbsup:ug. Wait a minute, thats TWO fatbikes!? OOOOOOOOOh yeah... Honey...?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Sorry for multiple posts in a row (Is this bad?). I still haven't wrapped my head around this whole thread etiquette thing.

Sorry for the grainy pictures too! haha

Anyways, the hydro lines need shortened, and I haven't dialed down fit completely, but it's basically done. Only negative I will say, the truvative BB seized up after about 3 crank rotations. We were able to rip the bad bearing off the isis spindle and press another one on but its pretty crunchy still. I have an FSA Platinum on the way. All in all the build went pretty well. Can't wait to hit the dirt this weekend.

Edit: 34lbs8oz

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.