Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Cleveland and we get alot of snow. I'm a year round commuter and road rider but I havn't tried MTBing yet. I'm considering getting a Pugsley to ride on my commute when its snowing, as a winter MTB on the local trails and perhaps as a summer MTB also. I've never ridden MTB so I'm not looking to do any real technical trails, just the occasional off road. My road uprights have always been fixed so I'll probably run the Pugsley SS.
How would the Pugsley handle a commute on snowy roads or summer trail riding? Would I just be wasting my money if I only rode the bike off-road in the winter a few times?

Thanks
Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Pugsley is an awesome bike. She can float through every terrain leaving all other bikes far behind. Thanks to the large wheel diameter she can be very fast, but not as responsive as bikes with light wheel setup. Accelerating requires some more force and you have to get used to the steering (the bike is ultra-stable). I am using my Pug as MTB for several months now and love it. Yet, I would suggest a test ride before you go for it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response.
Now the question is how does one get a test ride on a Pugsley. They aren't exactally common and I doubt many bike shops have one build up.
Ofcourse as I have never ridden a MTB I doubt I could tell whether the Pugs was a good or bad ride.
I think primary reason I want a Pugs is just that they look so cool. I'm just trying to justify the cost.
Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
CBBaron said:
Thanks for your response.
Now the question is how does one get a test ride on a Pugsley. They aren't exactally common and I doubt many bike shops have one build up.
Ofcourse as I have never ridden a MTB I doubt I could tell whether the Pugs was a good or bad ride.
I think primary reason I want a Pugs is just that they look so cool. I'm just trying to justify the cost.
Craig
If you're going to be up in the Mpls/St Paul area any time soon you can take mine out for a spin. It's a 20 inch frame...

I got lucky on a test ride when Zito from QBP just happened to roll in on one at the shop where I was pricing my pugs out. I took his work loaner out for a short spin and was hooked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PMC said:
If you're going to be up in the Mpls/St Paul area any time soon you can take mine out for a spin. It's a 20 inch frame...

I got lucky on a test ride when Zito from QBP just happened to roll in on one at the shop where I was pricing my pugs out. I took his work loaner out for a short spin and was hooked.
It seems there are quite a few Pugs in Mpls/St Paul. If only that were also true of Cleveland. I would think due to the amount of snow we get here a Pugs would be a good ride but I don't think even summer MTB riding is very popular compared to many areas.
If any one has, or knows of someone who has a Pugsley in NE Ohio let me know. I am interested but they appear to be very different from what I am used to.
Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
CBBaron said:
I am interested but they appear to be very different from what I am used to.
Craig
They are not that much different from the normal MTB, except for MUCH better traction and floatation. Pug handles very much like a mountainbike, not like a truck. If there's no way you can try Pugsley:
1. take a ride on a hardtail bike with a heavy wheels setup to get an idea of acceleration and handling
2. take a ride on a ratrac to get an idea of floatation :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
CBBaron said:
It seems there are quite a few Pugs in Mpls/St Paul. If only that were also true of Cleveland. I would think due to the amount of snow we get here a Pugs would be a good ride but I don't think even summer MTB riding is very popular compared to many areas.
If any one has, or knows of someone who has a Pugsley in NE Ohio let me know. I am interested but they appear to be very different from what I am used to.
Craig
Dear CBBaron,
I too live in neohio, Built a Surly 1x1 with 2.4 mutanorapters, planet cycle fenders, its enough tire fenders help mucho in this weather,road 18 miles this last wednesday on the towpath,it was cold and lovely. Were I to do it over again I would build a Karate Monkey ss, larger wheels would be an improvment but again I love! my 1x1. If you need any answers or advice call Century Cycles in Peninsula, ask for Derek,Doug,Brent or Jeff, Theyb all ride and race all Surlys of all types
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flickwet said:
Dear CBBaron,
I too live in neohio, Built a Surly 1x1 with 2.4 mutanorapters, planet cycle fenders, its enough tire fenders help mucho in this weather,road 18 miles this last wednesday on the towpath,it was cold and lovely. Were I to do it over again I would build a Karate Monkey ss, larger wheels would be an improvment but again I love! my 1x1. If you need any answers or advice call Century Cycles in Peninsula, ask for Derek,Doug,Brent or Jeff, Theyb all ride and race all Surlys of all types
Thanks flickwet,
A Karate Monkey SS or a 1x1 would be considerably less expensive than a Pugsley, but the Pugsleys are so cool and I wondered if the smaller tires could handle the snowy paths. I work just off the towpath in Cleveland so that would be one place I would like to ride in the winter.
Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Howdy Craig

Good to see a bent rider diversifying their interests. The pugs makes for a great commuter and if your terrian is not overly hilly the ss is the way to go. The simplistic approach is the best approach in my opinion. As far as trail bike as long as your not thinking that you going to run the table on a Ti 29er full-suspension you will do just fine. These bikes are heavy but handle well and go about anywhere you can imagine with confidence.

You are right about one thing they are VERY COOL. As far as cost it is just money compare that to health problem and doctor bills the bike whatever kind it is can be described as a real bargin.

Bottom line if you do not like it but want to sell it the resale willbe good on these bikes for a very long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ramjet-SS said:
Good to see a bent rider diversifying their interests. The pugs makes for a great commuter and if your terrian is not overly hilly the ss is the way to go. The simplistic approach is the best approach in my opinion. As far as trail bike as long as your not thinking that you going to run the table on a Ti 29er full-suspension you will do just fine. These bikes are heavy but handle well and go about anywhere you can imagine with confidence.

You are right about one thing they are VERY COOL. As far as cost it is just money compare that to health problem and doctor bills the bike whatever kind it is can be described as a real bargin.

Bottom line if you do not like it but want to sell it the resale willbe good on these bikes for a very long time.
I've been riding a fixed gear as my primary commuter since last winter which is why SS is of interest to me. I use my recumbent on longer rides where comfort and speed become more important than handling an low maintence.
I have spent more money on a couple of my recumbents than it will cost to build a Pugsley but my commuters have been fixie conversions that cost less than $200 to build.
Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
My riding

is restricted to health and fitness and recreational riding.

My Bent riding was minimized last year but my riding of SS bikes increased dramatically. I ride a Redline for road riding and if I am doing long distances we use the Screamer. Off road the Bianchi SASS is the ticket. But the Pugs is a great bike for snow riding and for soft sand and mud it floats and certainly is worth while investment if you have the cash on hand. I certainly plan on using it for those loose gravel roads that are all over the NE Wisconsin area it will add to the enjoyment and reliablity of the ride. I also use the bike for Hunting and exploring excursions as I never know what sort of terrian or crap I am going to run into. I built mine up with good components but one could economize.

Large Marge Rims
Surley racks front and back
Avid Levers
White Brothers Cassette 22 tooth
Hussfelt crank set and BB
WTB pro-Gel seat with Thompson Stem
FSA 330 Riser Handle bars
Salsa Stem
Avid disc brakes
Egg Beaters in the summer and fall but BMX wide platform pedals the rest of the year and i may just leave those on for the entire year they are great.

The Z-Bone will up for sale this week as my love for SS has taken over any interest I had in bents and if I ride bents it will with my wife on long distant rides on the Screamer.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top