Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my Pugs as a geared bike for the last year so I decided to switch to a single speed for winter and to use Pugs as a training bike for cyclocross season (my cross racing bike is a singlespeed and weighs literally half as much). Intitially, I had issues with the bars I'd been riding because I felt like I needed more leverage to keep speed on the climbs. Bar ends on wide bars were too wide and when the bars were cut down they were too narrow to feel confident pushing those big wheels around.
The solution was a pair of On One Mary bars. The radical sweep angle feels like you're climbing on the brake hoods of a road bike, the forward bend at the clamp keeps your knees from hitting the bars while going uphill. Descending feels different than with a traditional bar. I like to think it's more like a downhill ski racer than motocrosser. They also seem to really help with steering feedback on hardpack or slickrock type terrain.
I haven't run out to put Marys on every bike I own, but I've been impressed with them so far and they added the final piece of weirdness to an already unique ride. Set-up wise, some say to shorten the stem 10-15mm with Mary. My stem was a little short to start with so I kept the same length but did drop two spacers, 20mm, without feeling like I was too far over the nose. You could almost run the bars upside-down and they'd be the position I ended up with. Just give yourself a few options for stems and stack height to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hanging with Fat Mary

I love Mary as well and am buying another one for the commuter bike I don't even have yet! I find them really comfortable for everything except long climbs where I feel bar-ends are still better.
When I ride my old single speed or my kids bikes, the angle of my wrists feels wrong.

Attachments

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Yes it is similiar but some minor differences(angle and width). I have the Bonty bars and because the forward extension of the bar which is shorter compared to a Mary, you will need a longer stem to get proper fit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Long Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

This beach is a five minute ride from suburbia and about half an hour from my place on a singlespeed Pugsley. It's only a 20 minute drive from central Auckland.
The photo was taken in the middle of our winter but it was a warm 18ºC that day.
The "dormant" volcano in the background is Rangitoto. It's in the middle of one of our harbours, a short distance from downtown Auckland.
The singletrack in Auckland is not that special (mostly pine forest) but we have lots of volcanoes and lots of beaches... hence the Pug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts