Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Pug is on it's way and so is the snow.:)

Any suggestions for fenders or big studded tires, homemade or purchased. Pics please.

I'm a little nervous riding the Endos w/o studs, there's almost always ice on the trails I ride.

·
Registered
822 Posts
neal_b said:
My new Pug is on it's way and so is the snow.:)

Any suggestions for fenders or big studded tires, homemade or purchased. Pics please.

I'm a little nervous riding the Endos w/o studs, there's almost always ice on the trails I ride.
You'd be suprised. If there is any kind of texture to the ice the tires grab it fairly well. If it's sheet ice like a frozen lake studs are better. I just use the pug in snow and another bike with studded tires on it.

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
Sure wish I had that studded Endo on my Pugs today. Needed a little more bite as the front was washing out a lot. Our snow today was grainy and slick. I think the Endo works great if the snow is a little wetter. May have to look into building one of those. I wonder how he covered the heads on the inside of the tire? Would silicone on each screw head cover it up enough to prevent the tubes from getting rubbed through? Experience anyone???

·
Registered
116 Posts
Innova studded tires use too soft studs. It's not a problem when there is only snow and ice, but if you have to ride on concrete or rocky terrain, the studs will become completely useless after a while.
Only Nokian, Schwalbe and Continental seem to use proper carbide-tipped studs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Could of used studs yesterday, Hopback trail, Weiser State Forrest, Rattling Creek area, PA. Was quite icy in places, aired down the pugs alittle, but still had to be light with the quick movements ! Studs would of been nice.

beginning of Fawnkill trail

·
Registered
298 Posts
Surly guy's tire uses (stainless?) steel pop rivets and washers. Nice technique. Should not need a liner to protect the tube. Pre-drill the tire from the outside and pop in the rivets from the inside out. I used a similar technique a while back on the infamous 30" Frankentire (thread below). I went with aluminum though and they rounded off quickly.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=67256

I may be playing with an endomorph to add a bit more traction soon. Loose, dry snow is still nearly impossible to power through.

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
BikesOnSnow said:
Surly guy's tire uses (stainless?) steel pop rivets and washers. Nice technique. Should not need a liner to protect the tube. Pre-drill the tire from the outside and pop in the rivets from the inside out. I used a similar technique a while back on the infamous 30" Frankentire (thread below). I went with aluminum though and they rounded off quickly.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=67256

I may be playing with an endomorph to add a bit more traction soon. Loose, dry snow is still nearly impossible to power through.
actually the build in that studded endo photo are countersunk stainless machine screws with bolts on the outside. Duct tape as the linner.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ah ha... yes, nuts on top.

https://flic.kr/p/2091928761
Still not much for details, but sounds like he glued a tube to the inside of the tire. Looks like a couple of the studs pulled out of the lower one.

Anyone remember the post of the plastic pipe sections added to an endo for powder traction? Can't dig it up in search.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got most of my stuff the other day, still waiting on the wheels (LMs w/ XT hubs), they were on b.o. until 12/26.

I see why they used the nuts and bolts on the tires, there's no meat in the tread for anything else to hold on to.

I would like to use car tire studs w/ carbide so I can ride from my house, I'm certain the bolts will wear down after a few rides.

I have some DH Kenda Telonix @ 2.6" which I think the knobs are big enough to hold the studs. Are there any other tires (DH?) that are > 2.6"? I've been seaching the last couple of days w/o results. I know a couple a years ago when I first started looking at the Pug there were some 3"+ tires that I think were studded too, can't find them now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Verskis said:
Innova studded tires use too soft studs. It's not a problem when there is only snow and ice, but if you have to ride on concrete or rocky terrain, the studs will become completely useless after a while.
Only Nokian, Schwalbe and Continental seem to use proper carbide-tipped studs.
For my use it would do.

But as Finnish person coulden't you persuade Nokian to make a 3,7" studded tire?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I got my first ride in today. :D :D

The snow was less than ideal but I was amazed what I was able to ride through. Sorry no pics, battery was dead in camera.

Any idea what thickness / type of wood is used on the wooden fenders I've seen?

·
Registered
822 Posts
neal_b said:
Well, I got my first ride in today. :D :D

The snow was less than ideal but I was amazed what I was able to ride through. Sorry no pics, battery was dead in camera.

Any idea what thickness / type of wood is used on the wooden fenders I've seen?
PM Trek Jeff and ask him. He is the one that makes them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.