Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am going to be slowly building a Fall/Winter bike over the course of the summer and I have narrowed it down to a SS "Chubby" or Fat bike. But can't decide which way to go. I currently have 2 Niners One Single speed and a 2x10 EMD. I have a suspension fork and a rigid fork I swap between. So I pretty much have all the 29er Hardtail options. And I am looking for something totally different that I can get muddy, snowy and beat up. I live and ride in the South Eastern PA / Delaware /MD region. I was thinking of doing a Budget 1x1 build with some wider rims and running the new 26x2.75 Dirt wizards but I would never be able to go any bigger, I'm not sure the 26x3 Knards would even fit when they come out so, I don't know if I want to be stuck, and also I don't know about going to a smaller diameter wheel after riding Niners for 5 years. But it would be the cheapest option. I like the SS complete Pugs option that just came out but I'm not a fan of the offset wheel in the rear and I'm not sure about the wider bottom bracket. But the Pugs can run the chubby tires along with the fatties. The Krampus sounds awesome but I'm worried it would be too close to my Niners. Any advice or other options would be much appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have not ridden a Krampus as of yet, but I have my Troll set up as a SS and I owned a SS Pug. I would imagine that if you went with the Krampus, it would be way different than your Niners.

The Pugs as a single speed is pretty fun, and has amazing traction. Other than looks, the offset and wide bottom bracket were not an issue to me. I got over the looks of it eventually. It's a fun bike as a single speed.

For the 1x1, with Dirt Wizards would be interesting. I am contemplating a rabbit hole wheel build with the 2.75 DW for my Troll, but I usually run it with Ardent 2.6s, and it rides well. I was big into 29ers before going this route, and it did not really bother me to move back to the 26" world.

Hope that rambling helps any!

·
Registered
940 Posts
1x1

The Krampus is designed around 29+ wheels so the 26+ DW's would lower it enough to handle oddly I would think although I haven't tried it.

The Pugs is essentially a 29er when you measure the height of the Fatties and we swap out 29er wheels when converting to MTB mode. It would prolly ride OK with 26+DW's but not optimal.

The 1x1 was originally designed around 26x2.7 so the 26+DW's feel right at home in it. I've used 26x3.0 Gazzies in the past so I'm confident the 3.0 Knards will fit fine when we finally see them, so my vote is for the 1x1. Just my thoughts....

Pat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
Just to clear things up if I get a Krampus I will run it 29+, if I get a pugs I will run it 26x3.8-4" and the 1x1 would be 26+ with Dirt Wizards.

I actually have also been thinking about a Mukluk with two wheelsets Fat and 29+ the Geo looks very similar to the Krampus.

Cheers,
Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts