Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Surly Pugsley that I ride for commuting and some trails. Fairly frequently, the bike starts to "squeak" - such as if I'm standing with the bike, rolling into the freight elevator in my work building, and I rock the bike back and forth a few inches - SQUEAK! A now-departed LBS showed me how to fix this with some Tri-flow applied to a part on the rear wheel. I just gently pry back the rubber "gasket" and squirt in some lube. It's a bit tricky to get in there without having the bike on a stand. What is this part? Is there something that needs to be replaced? Please see the arrow on the photo.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,123 Posts
before you start spraying anything anywhere, you need to clean that **** off. that rear wheel is foul with grime. cleaning it and doing nothing else might well make the noise go away.

That piece of rubber is just a dust shield that covers up axle hardware. have you ever had your hub disassembled and serviced, checking bearings, cups & cones, fresh grease, etc?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just what I needed to know - Thank you! All of the conveniently located/nearby LBS have closed over the past 2 years. The only really good tech is over a half hour away by car, so it's not like I can just drop in while I'm out on the bike. I'll just have him service the hubs. I cleaned off everything else right before I took the photo - chain, guides, derailleur, rings, etc. I should have done a better job when I had the wheels off to swap in my summer tires in May.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just what I needed to know - Thank you! All of the conveniently located/nearby LBS have closed over the past 2 years. The only really good tech is over a half hour away by car, so it's not like I can just drop in while I'm out on the bike. I'll just have him service the hubs. I cleaned off everything else right before I took the photo - chain, guides, derailleur, rings, etc. I should have done a better job when I had the wheels off to swap in my summer tires in May.
The worst thing with that pic is the oily sludge is in danger of migrating up your brake rotor and creating havoc w brakes.
Squeak might be just the dust seal. Friends pedal does similar. Anyway, having a shop open the bearing, clean & grease it should be a longer term solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.