Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a BITTER 45 degrees yesterday, but my friend and I braved the cold and went for another ride on Sand Mountain.

I was running 8.5/8.0 psi rear/front and the bike rode well, but I think the optimal pressure for loose sand is going to be lower still.

The lake in the background is Sand Hollow Reservoir. Zion National Park is on the horizon.

Here I am about to spin out on a pretty steep slope. I'm making my "air guitar" or concentration face.

We rode down the faces of some big sand dunes: mucho fun!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
lanpope said:
Must...keep...wallet...in...pocket...must...fight...Surly...lust...

LP
Just walk towards the light Pope, all your (flotation) problems will be washed away.
Seriously, I just saw one on eBay go for $1025 geared new. No large Marge's though.

·
528 Posts
That is

That is the one that I wanted. I wasn't able to bid on it before the auction close. I can't believe you bought it for that price. Nice job. Have you received it yet and if so how nice is it?

mtnbikerx said:
Just walk towards the light Pope, all your (flotation) problems will be washed away.
Seriously, I just saw one on eBay go for $1025 geared new. No large Marge's though.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More pics from today

Up on Sand Mountain again. The sand was a little wet today, but this still wouldn't have been rideable on a regular bike.

Attachments

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
many times

DirtDad said:
Have you had yours out yet Chris?
Its an awesome ride. I'm always solo -- I have no riding pics yet. When its cold I don't have the paitence to setup the timer and find a place for the mini tripod and then make a few passes for a good riding shot. I really need to ride with someone sometime -- that or just suck it up.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
NOT a Sand Mountain pic

DirtDad, I got home late and by the background you can see I was busy with seasonal issues. But I made a special effort to snap a couple of pics to post tonite --
"post pic sooner!" :)

There is barely an eyelash clearance on each sidewall with the endomorphs but if the wheel is true it's not an issue. And don't forget I'm running the Remolinos that spread the tire sidewalls wider than the Large Marge rims. The real problem is that the tire rubs on the fork crown on full compression. I'm installing heavier springs to replace the notoriously light OE springs (212 lbs nekkid) and I'll clamp a section of rubber hose at the bottom of the stantions as a bump stop. Maybe the Gazzi 3.0's will alleviate this problem but no time to check them yet. OH, and the head angle is 70 degrees.

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Oh, wow...so much tire, and some travel too! I guess you can get some 3" from it without issues?
Was the frame built with a suspension fork in mind?

I wonder, those rims are SO wide, don't they pack enormous amounts of snow? Even the ca 30mm rims on my townie do. Makes me think maybe the ideal snow rim should have a sharp V-shape. Maybe even a plastic cover of some kind?

The wider rims seem to also make the tire a bit flatter, how does that affect the ride? I can see extra float, but how about go-anywhere traction and soft landings?

You guys are so blessed with snad mountains and snow! We only have some sea dune singletrack that gets unrideable for normal bikes in the summer.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Oh No!

mtnbikerx said:
DirtDad, I got home late and by the background you can see I was busy with seasonal issues. But I made a special effort to snap a couple of pics to post tonite --
"post pic sooner!" :)
Thanks for the extra effort to take those pics! I guess I believed it when you said it would fit, but seeing it is a real eye opener. I have thought about a fork that would be compatible with 4.0 tires, but I never though about the crown bottoming. Since no 29er forks will be wide enough, your approach is the only one that would work - limit the travel on a 26er (is that an accepted term?) fork like other 29ers do. I wonder about other forks like a Maverick DUC32, SC32, or others. I don't even have mine yet and I am already planning upgrades - arg!

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
slowrider said:
What's that bike weigh?
34 point something. The weight's all in the wheels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.