Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. My BOB trailer wont mount up to the pug, I've emailed BOB and the reply was that maybe a Yak28 fork would work, but im not too sure if that fork will be wide enough for the endomorphs. A buddy is interested in making a new fork for me. still thinking about this tho...
2. what is the goin MSRP for the Surly Nice racks? and what is the deal with panniers? I've been thinkin of Ortlieb...
3. I've been using my crank bro's pump, and have been thinking of a different pump. Like maybe the Specialized windpipe...

feedback?

peace....D
 

·
Dr Gadget is IN
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
yak forks

I just happen to have a BOB Yak and both forks. The basic fork is 14 1/4" deep (center of axle to outside of "headtube") and 7" wide til 3.5" from headtube - then has 3.5" radius bend.

29er fork is 17" deep, but tapers from 7" to 4 1/4" at 2" from headtube. But I seem to recall the Pugs hubs are offset noticeably, which would eat into that 4 1/4" room. Call BOB and see if they'll make a Pugs fork?
 
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
offset

right...offset...hmmm....
so obviously the BOB fork needs to be manufactured in a way that accomodates the offset.

otherwise, the trailer would ?
a. not track in line with the bike?
b. the tyre may not be centered in the fork?

(sigh)
sounds like a lot of busy work.
maybe i should just buy racks/panniers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I've been using Extrawheel trailer (fitted with endomorph tire) along with racks on my expedition (www.wildworks.co.nz/csr). Trailer fork had to be redesigned to fit endomorph on the bike. I'm affraid that standard BOB fork will be both too narrow and too "shallow" since endos make your wheel 29.2 inch in diameter. As for the offset, I had to add 17mm spacer on the left hand side under the QR ball joint and mill as much as possible from the right hand side QR screw. At the end the trailer was able to brace the tyre with some space to spare and was following bike's track perfectly. If you don't take offset into account, you will need a HUGE fork to work with the tires (about 15cm of space between arms).







I'm not sure about the point of using BOB with Pug, since the tiny wheel with quite narrow tire will be working like a plough in soft conditions that otherwise would be no problem for the bike. I tested many trailers before setting off and BOB definitely did not work in boggy stuff. If you still believe that you need this trailer, you will probably have to weld a special fork.

Surly racks work sweet and they fit over offset endo tyre which cannot be said about most other constructions on the market. You just install right lower leg 'inside' braze-ons, and the left one 'outside' :)
 

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Extrawheel capacity

The extrawheel trailer is fascinating, and makes sense with Endomorphs. How much capacity does it have? I am sure you thought it out carefully for the CSR ride, but at first glance anyway, the trailer does not seem to carry much. It seems the extra capacity could be carried on the rear rack between the bags, and/or by running a rear rack in front that would give you another platform to pile stuff on. Perhaps weight distribution was a factor, too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
DirtDad said:
The extrawheel trailer is fascinating, and makes sense with Endomorphs. How much capacity does it have? I am sure you thought it out carefully for the CSR ride, but at first glance anyway, the trailer does not seem to carry much. It seems the extra capacity could be carried on the rear rack between the bags, and/or by running a rear rack in front that would give you another platform to pile stuff on. Perhaps weight distribution was a factor, too?
Extrawheel trailer can carry up to 30kg, with cargo nets capacity of about 120 litres. My trailer was carrying four MSR water tanks, weighting up to 35kg in total. It was more than the weight of all my stuff in the panniers...

There was no way of adding that much more on the bike and keeping it rideable. Thanks to the trailer the weight was located very low (good thing when riding through the deep sand) and there was a third wheel running on extremely low pressure to support it. Also, water bags could be used much easier being outside, than on the bottom of the panniers. Finally, black tanks were accumulating heat during the day so I could use them as a hot-water bottles at night with temperatures around 0 Celcius degrees.
 

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Where to get in the US

It looks like extrawheel is just getting started as a company. Since they are on your sponsor list, I thought you might be able to point me in the right direction here: are they available in the US, or are they looking for US dealers at this time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
DirtDad said:
It looks like extrawheel is just getting started as a company. Since they are on your sponsor list, I thought you might be able to point me in the right direction here: are they available in the US, or are they looking for US dealers at this time?
Some time ago they were searching for the dealer but I'm not sure about the results. You can certainly order the trailer from Poland- without a wheel it will weight about 3.5-kg so the shipping should not be too expensive.

Please note that the standard production trailer will not work with Endomorphs. To have an endo on the bike you will need a custom fork (that can be made by Extrawheel, since they already have the project of mine just to be copied). The trailer itself should clear any tire up to 2.7 with ease. I am working on a endomorph version that could be brought into standard production.
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Homemade sled/trailer

I encountered the same problem with my Wildfire Designs FatBikes which have an 18mm offset so made my own trailer with a wide offset attachment fork. It has a chromoly frame with a plastic kiddy sled and a 19" SnowCat trials rim and a fat Monty trials tire. Works great and can be adjusted to carry the load really low. Maybe BOB can start offering an offset attachment fork to work with the Wildfire's and Pugs out there.

kiwibiker said:
Some time ago they were searching for the dealer but I'm not sure about the results. You can certainly order the trailer from Poland- without a wheel it will weight about 3.5-kg so the shipping should not be too expensive.

Please note that the standard production trailer will not work with Endomorphs. To have an endo on the bike you will need a custom fork (that can be made by Extrawheel, since they already have the project of mine just to be copied). The trailer itself should clear any tire up to 2.7 with ease. I am working on a endomorph version that could be brought into standard production.
 

Attachments

Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trailers with offset

that is a great design. Right now Im holding off on that project. I've got a set of "nice racks" coming in, so im gonna mess with the pannier idea. but really I'd like to have the BOB working too, mostly cuz, when i usually camp, the large cargo bag plays extra duty for stuff like, gathering firewood.
 
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well damn! its been 8months on the Pug, and i've yet to resolve the front rack & trailer issue(s). (sigh)
what front rack has Kiwibiker used? and how are they mounted?
Extrawheel trailer? Have they come to the US yet? (sigh)
seems like my pug has evolved from nomadic/hobo vehicle to poser in front of Johnny Rockets. The hummer of bikes? Damn! Not me! a yuppie in denial? say it aint true.
at least the rear rack mounts up.
peace.........d
(wishing to get this all resolved)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
Well damn! its been 8months on the Pug, and i've yet to resolve the front rack & trailer issue(s). (sigh)
what front rack has Kiwibiker used? and how are they mounted?
Extrawheel trailer? Have they come to the US yet? (sigh)
seems like my pug has evolved from nomadic/hobo vehicle to poser in front of Johnny Rockets. The hummer of bikes? Damn! Not me! a yuppie in denial? say it aint true.
at least the rear rack mounts up.
peace.........d
(wishing to get this all resolved)
Hi, It's been a while since my last visit ;)

I'm using CROSSO low rider with custom 6061 alloy clamps. Braces are assymetrical to compensate the offset of the fork. There are also short spacing tubes on the bottom braze ons, serving the same purpose. The rack looks funny from the cockpit, since the wheel doesn't sit right the between frames but you don't feel any diferrence when riding.

The whole thing is stiff enough, to hang the whole bike on the rack :) I can post the drawings of the clamps if you need them, or maybe even ask CROSSO for another rack like my one, if you are not in a hurry...

As for the trailers- I talked to Extrawheel guys about getting Pug-customized forks into standard production and they said OK. All we need is at least 5 people interested in such trailer :) It would accomodate Endomorph on the bike and anything up to 2.7" on the trailer.

Some tech data:
Steel tubular frame, steel laser-cut fork, thermoplactic mudguard,
Cordura wheel cover, adjustable cargo nets.

weight: 4.8kg (with average 28" wheel, can go lower with high quality one) - by far the lightest one wheel trailer on the market
load capacity: 30kg
length without fork: 101cm
total length: 137cm
height without flag: 72cm
width: 15cm (cargo nets empty)

RRP for the complete trailer (without wheel) would be around 250 USD.
Door-to-door shipping to US or Canada: $30 Economy, $100 express.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
don't buy from crosso

buyer beware... I placed an order for a set of panniers from crosso and received nothing. They don't respond to email or phone, but they took my $$ easily enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
viewsion said:
buyer beware... I placed an order for a set of panniers from crosso and received nothing. They don't respond to email or phone, but they took my $$ easily enough.
Crosso ships dozens of international orders every week and I haven't heard of any major problems with the deliveries. I checked with the guys in Poland and IF your name is Thomas, they have resent your panniers after the first package was lost. Also, according to them you have never asked for a refund... I am sure they would do something, even if it's not their fault that the parcel went missing. Try [email protected] with Return Receipt (so you know they have got it) and let me know the outcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I hope so, it would be nice if crosso could let me know such things. A month ago they told me they would look into it "asap", but still no panniers. I will let you know if I receive my order.
 
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so I took the liberty to check out your public profile, and it says that you live in WA
so why did you choose Crosso?
that is an international order...right?
i mean...
with REI so close
and customer service/SUPPORT being a significant factor to life these days, i was just wondering why Crosso?

I hope this all works out.

peace...d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
There is always a risk of some hassle with overseas order. When part of my expedition gear sent from Germany got stuck on customs in Auckland, nobody from the courier company even bothered to call me. They said they sent me a 'postcard' that never arrived. If not for a phone call from Magura asking why I don't want to pick up the parcel, I would not even know that it's waiting for me and it would be sent back :-/

Anyway, I am sure that the whole situation will end fine.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top