Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck choosing a front hub for a new pug project bike. I was planning on running the Paul WHUB, but through additional reading I learned it doesn't work with the pug's stock fork.

Does anyone make a front disc hub that better fits the pug's fork?

Otherwise, I'm going to replace the stock fork, to avoid running rear hubs upfront. :madman:

Great forum, learned alot these last few weeks reading everyone's posts. Hope to post my pug on the forum in the next month or so.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
What's the problem with running a rear hub? Aesthetics? Something else?

I'm going with the Surly Disk/SS hub. It's black and subdued, but I sure with they made their disk/fixed hub in 36 hole. A fixed gear would always get you home (assuming you don't thrash a chain).

There's a discussion of the Paul and Phil hubs further down the forum page.

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CLONG said:
What's the problem with running a rear hub? Aesthetics? Something else?
Functionally it makes perfect sense to keep ta fixie up front for an emergency when the prawls freeze up in the middle of winter. Being prepared for anything makes you a safe and prepared outdoorman. Something that is a good quality to have.

However Clong is right, It boils down really to aesthetics and weight. It sounds like I'll be happier with a new fork (desalvo, pugsley 100mm, or fatback steel). I'll be keeping the stock fork in the box. I can always install down the road.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i am planning on the Surly New hub (disc SS 36h rear). weight is not high on my list of concerns or even on the list at all for that matter. aesthetically i find pleasing, cause it comes in black. i am pretty sure it is going to work, but i haven't quite finished specing out the front wheel yet...

choose. choose wisely.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Sounds fine if it means that much to you. The DeSalvo is pretty, for sure. The Fatback? Hawt. Personally, I would research claimed weights and see if it's even going to make that much difference. It's the archer, not the arrow, y'know what I mean?

IMO, it's a FAT bike, and total weight (within reason) will probably not be inversely related to smile width. It's all about getting out there to the middle of nowhere, and since there's no one else there, you don't have to race to be first, right?

I don't want to come off as too smug. I understand you might be racing, or taking long, unsupported rides and, if so, considering weight is definitely justifiable. I'm speaking as someone who could stand to lose a few pounds and rides for the ride, not the win. YMMV.

C.

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CLONG said:
I don't want to come off as too smug.
No worries. It was a good point, maybe overlooked by many people getting into fat bikes for first time. All good and welcome points. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,330 Posts
CLONG said:
I don't want to come off as too smug. I understand you might be racing, or taking long, unsupported rides and, if so, considering weight is definitely justifiable.

C.
If you are doing either of those things than having a fixed wheel ready to rock should your pawls freeze up or break is well worth the handful of extra grams you'll carry on your bike with a front wheel that is a rear hub.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that's one of the coolest features of the Pugsley.

I'm running an Alfine IGH on my Pug which is far from proven technology in this application. When I'm 200kms from the nearest paved road it's nice to know that if the hub packs it in I can keep rolling fixed.

If I was running derailleurs in the winter I'd love to have a back up should something go wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts