Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I hear they're doing 4 laps this year...

They felt 3 was too easy.

RESPECT MA AUTHORITAY!!!

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
cycloscott said:
Hey Shiggy. One of my buddies told me that the Puff was likely to use a modified route this year. Anything firm yet? Just wondering what I'm in for.
I have heard its only 2 laps this year, and not the same lap 2x. Not sure if Shiggy is holding back on purpose, so I won't divulge anymore.

·
Registered
528 Posts
2 laps I believe

Here are some clipped posts from ther CCP listserv:
(Join the list here.)

Date: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:18 pm
Cascade Cream Puff 100 wrote:
> The proposed course will still have two full descents of Alpine
> Trail. The first one is at about the same distance as if you were on
> lap two of the three lap course.
>
> This course would take a lot of pressure off of Alpine because of
> DNFs there could be half the total traffic on it.
>
> I am really excited about the new route. We have been working on it
> for a couple of years.. I call it the "Extra Creamy".
> -Don
>

> I will be posting the new map and profile on the web site in a week
> or so.
> Total climbing is about the same. The dirt road climbs are a bit more
> rolling. There is more climbing on trail.
>
> -Don
>

> The first station is around 20 miles and you hit Aid #2 the first
> time at 39 miles then they are about the same spread as before.
> the "old" Aid #1, #2 & #3 are in the same places.
> #2 is used 4 times, #3 three times and #1 once plus is the finish.
>

·
Registered
53 Posts
First lap is an epic

New course goes along North Shore road for about 5 or six miles I guess. Pretty flat - rolling, until the climbing starts. First couple of miles are gravel road. Probably a little steeper than 1910, particularly towards the end. Then the single track climb starts. Cloverpatch is the name of the trail. It's absolulely brutal, particularly on a single speed. There'll be plenty of hike-a-bike going on here. Then down cloverpatch tie trail (more single track) to Winberry divide. Another brutal series of steep-ass climbs and descents. From Winberry campground it's up 150 which is a gravel road and drops you out between the existing aid station 2 and three. I don't know exactly how long that is but I'd say around 15 miles. It's not too bad. Keep going up to Aid three, down the Aplpine trail, then finish it off with one normal loop.

My numbers may be a little off as I don't use a bike computer, but you get the general idea. I think it's nice that we only climb 1910 once, which is probably easier mentally, but some of the single track climbing is way more difficult than in the past. I think the new course is way more primitive and epic, which is in keeping with tradition. It's is a little less suited to single speeds than the old one, but that's just one person's opinion.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yousers! Sounds like a tougher course this year, but also more epic. I'm soooo looking forward to it! Oh yeah, baby! Wo0t!

Now, if we can just have '04's weather instead of '03's... :D Last year's weather was perfect.

Thanks for the details!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
D.Ambrose said:
Yousers! Sounds like a tougher course this year, but also more epic. I'm soooo looking forward to it! Oh yeah, baby! Wo0t!

Now, if we can just have '04's weather instead of '03's... :D Last year's weather was perfect.

Thanks for the details!
I second that emotion.. I DNF'ed in '03 mostly because of the weather.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
cycloscott said:
Hey Shiggy. One of my buddies told me that the Puff was likely to use a modified route this year. Anything firm yet? Just wondering what I'm in for.
The maps are up on the site now. Longest stretch between trail segments looks to be almost 26 miles. I've ridden all but the cloverpatch segment before. There's a decent climb at the start to spread out the field before we hit cloverpatch.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
cycloscott said:
Grabbed them this week. Yikes. That's an ass-kicker of a first lap.
The Winberry divide section will definitely take the steam out of a lot of people early in the race It doesn't look like much on the profile Shiggy added to the map but it's a lot of up/down/up/down that just never seems to end. . The climb up to SaddleBlanket summit is going to take a lot more steam out as it's pretty steep and you're already 50 miles into the race. Then you hit the climb from Aid 3 up to Sourgrass that we used to hit for the first time at about mile 20-22, now it's mile 54-56.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.