Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that there are hundreds of people driving down to Pueblo, and I fully expect to have to fight the crowds. I believe I saw a total of ten riders today, and I know that half of them were local.

Still, I'm not complaining. I'm just so sorry that no one else can take off in the middle of the week. he he he.:D

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Guyechka said:
I read that there are hundreds of people driving down to Pueblo, and I fully expect to have to fight the crowds. I believe I saw a total of ten riders today, and I know that half of them were local.

Still, I'm not complaining. I'm just so sorry that no one else can take off in the middle of the week. he he he.:D
I'm unemployed and I have lots of time on my hands. I might need to take a ride down there. Whats a good place for some one that doesn't know the area?

·
Respect the mustache
145 Posts
After you look at the map at lakepueblotrails.org buy a membership to the southern colorado trails builders assoc., only 15 bucks. They are the group who built the 40 miles of trail and have plans to build even more. From what I hear plans are for some single track on the ridge next to the road out to Pedro's point and another loop west of the Voodoo Loop.:D

·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DOUBLEJ said:
After you look at the map at lakepueblotrails.org buy a membership to the southern colorado trails builders assoc., only 15 bucks. They are the group who built the 40 miles of trail and have plans to build even more. From what I hear plans are for some single track on the ridge next to the road out to Pedro's point and another loop west of the Voodoo Loop.:D
I wondered who was in charge of building all the trails. They are impressive and very well marked, which made my first trip easy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll be there tomorrow (damn furlough days!). It'll be my first time riding down south. I was going to ride around canon city, but sounds like/looks like it's best to leave riding around there for the dryer months. I would like to do the lion canyon loop sometime though (in reverse)

·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a question

Seeing as how this was my first time and I only had the downloaded pdf map, I didn't really get to explore most of the more technical stuff. I want to know, on the south shore, what are good routes up. It seemed like there were a lot of more techy routes that would be good downhill, so how do I make them into loops? Up Quatro Sinko, Broken Hip?

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Guyechka said:
Seeing as how this was my first time and I only had the downloaded pdf map, I didn't really get to explore most of the more technical stuff. I want to know, on the south shore, what are good routes up. It seemed like there were a lot of more techy routes that would be good downhill, so how do I make them into loops? Up Quatro Sinko, Broken Hip?
Around the Skull area, go up Skull, Freeride or Rattlesnake (in order of up difficulty, Skull easiest), that allows easiest access to Freeride, Rattlesnake, Skull, Hooters, Water Tower, Bones and Pinball using Roller Coaster for a connector.

Over in the Dog/Broken Hip area, go up Rock Canyon or Stonehenge. I usually go up a short section of Broken Hip and hike a' bike the last 50 feet, when I do laps on Lower Dog.

Use the South shore to connect everything down low and Roller Coaster to connect everything up high.

The easiest way to start on top (from the parking lot) is to take Duke to Rodeo.

Fave downs: Freeride, Skull, Rattlesnake, Hooters (with the lower extended section), Lower Dog
Fave Ups: Skull, Rattlesnake, Freeride, Rock Canyon

·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pastajet said:
Around the Skull area, go up Skull, Freeride or Rattlesnake (in order of up difficulty, Skull easiest), that allows easiest access to Freeride, Rattlesnake, Skull, Hooters, Water Tower, Bones and Pinball using Roller Coaster for a connector.

Over in the Dog/Broken Hip area, go up Rock Canyon or Stonehenge. I usually go up a short section of Broken Hip and hike a' bike the last 50 feet, when I do laps on Lower Dog.

Use the South shore to connect everything down low and Roller Coaster to connect everything up high.

The easiest way to start on top (from the parking lot) is to take Duke to Rodeo.

Fave downs: Freeride, Skull, Rattlesnake, Hooters (with the lower extended section), Lower Dog
Fave Ups: Skull, Rattlesnake, Freeride, Rock Canyon
Thanks, I've got it recorded on the map. Actually, the downloaded map isn't that bad. Seems pretty up to date and accurate as far as spatial relationships. The only problem with it is that it's a guessing game as to topography and technical difficulty up or down. Now it's time to go back and make a longer survey.:thumbsup:

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
If you want the map that is overtly detailed, and is really well done, get the http://westernmaps.net/SSLkPuebloTrails.html, you can pick it up at most bike shops, especially in the Springs. It is a map weenie map, for the real geek!

Here is my map of the most southern techy stuff, its just missing Stonehenge (and the sick Steep Tech and Staircase).

Edit: oops forgot the map...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Guyechka said:
When we went, we were interested in doing most / all the tech trails. We ended up using Waterfall to get back up a couple times, was not too bad, hike up stairs & a couple very short sections to hike, mostly rideable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think I got all the techy trails in yesterday minus steeptech and staircase. Awesome riding around there. I'll be coming back. saw three groups of other riders all day. Chatted with some near outer limits and pronghorn. If you're on here, thanks for the map and advice.

Went skydiving after the ride in penrose. I can recommend neil as a chill instructor who used to dowhnill and now rides dirt bikes.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Got 30 miles in yesterday. I think I saw 20 people though. The funny thing is I was there with Steve C from our Boulder store, and 3 of the guys we ran into were Anthony, Jason and Mike from our Fort Collins store.

Cuatro Sinko and the Voodoo Trail continue to be my favorite flowy trails. Too early in the season for me to hit the canyons (broke 2 arms last year, so I'm a wimp at the moment).

:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.