Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Any decent in town trails? How far of a drive to some good trails....AM to DH trails.
I don't know of any true DH trails, but they are rare everywhere on the front range. Pueblo has some really nice freerideish trails by the resivoir (in addition to some great flowy XC stuff there). The problem is that you really only want to ride there between October and May--any other times are on the hot side.

If you're really into the DH side of things, driving from Pueblo to the resorts adds an extra hour, unless you're driving to Angelfire where it saves you an hour vs COS or DEN. I would love to be 2.5 hours drive from Angelfire, but not at the cost of living in Pueblo...

·
Registered
814 Posts
I live in COS and worked in Pueblo 4.5 years, did the daily commute. Cheaper there, can get more house/land there etc, but no way would I live there. Just a depressing little town, no offense to anyone who lives there, just not my cup of tea.

·
Dirt is Fun
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thought of moving up to CO. has entered my mind, but looking at the larger city areas south of Denver. My riding style is mainly AM, flowy trails with some technical. Heard Pueblo was really cheap cost of living, thought I'd check it out.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
The thought of moving up to CO. has entered my mind, but looking at the larger city areas south of Denver. My riding style is mainly AM, flowy trails with some technical. Heard Pueblo was really cheap cost of living, thought I'd check it out.
Yeah, it's worth a look for sure--especially if you're moving from somewhere without great biking. In terms of cost of living: Pueblo < Colorado Springs < Denver Metro < Ft. Collins < Boulder.

Pueblo is also relatively close to Canon City and Salida where there is some great riding. There might even be some cool trails south west of Pueblo ;).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
pueblo is a great winter destination. This vid will show you most of the techy trails at Pueblo reservoir. (South Shore) Not much vert out there, but there's many fun short rocky DH's that drop down little canyons and arroyos. I guess many would call this AM style? Pedal to play, no long climbs or DH's. This area is an easy drive from town.

Pueblo, MTB on Vimeo

·
Medicine Wheel Guy
224 Posts
Colorado Springs probably has the best riding in the state that is accessible from town without a car, but still can offer a real job. It borders national forest and has a huge variety of local rides, plus it's generally ridable all year. Pueblo would be waaay too hot in the summer. Throw in a car with a rack and COS is central to some of the best in the state, like Buffalo Creek, Monarch Crest, Pueblo Res (winter), Winter Park, Summit County, etc, etc.

·
Respect the mustache
145 Posts
I've been a Pueblo resident for 5 years now, I used to live in Boulder, made the right choice. Yea it's a little warm in the summer, that's why I get my rides done before 11am or go out after 6pm. The rest of the year I ride anytime of day, I love it: where else can you ride with your dogs off leash and not get hassled, or even ride for 4 hours, not hit the same trail twice and only see 1 other person. There is 40 miles of trails at lake Pueblo.
The cost of living can't be beat, I lived in a crappy 600 sq ft condo in Boulder, moved to Pueblo and bought a sweet 100 yr old house- it is twice as big and 1/3 the price.
Also the fact that people turn up their noses to Pueblo helps to keep the snobs out. There is a great cycling community. Come ride with us at Lake Pueblo on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6 pm.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I've been a Pueblo resident for 5 years now, I used to live in Boulder, made the right choice. Yea it's a little warm in the summer, that's why I get my rides done before 11am or go out after 6pm. The rest of the year I ride anytime of day, I love it: where else can you ride with your dogs off leash and not get hassled, or even ride for 4 hours, not hit the same trail twice and only see 1 other person. There is 40 miles of trails at lake Pueblo.
The cost of living can't be beat, I lived in a crappy 600 sq ft condo in Boulder, moved to Pueblo and bought a sweet 100 yr old house- it is twice as big and 1/3 the price.
Also the fact that people turn up their noses to Pueblo helps to keep the snobs out. There is a great cycling community. Come ride with us at Lake Pueblo on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6 pm.
If you have a good circle of friends and a good job/living situation any place is a great place. They all have their positive and negative points which depend on your point of view.

The question is what kind of MTB scene there is around Pueblo. Lake Pueblo is indeed a great place to ride - It's a bit of a haul for me so I don't go there too much - but I've really enjoyed it when I've been there. What else is there nearby though? As nice as it is, I personally would get tired of it if it was the only nearby place to ride.

·
Respect the mustache
145 Posts
The trails at the lake are the bulk of the dirt trails near town. There is a great paved trail on the river that I can ride to Lake Pueblo, I can jump onto it 3 blocks from my house near Mesa Junction. I also do a lot of gravel road riding from Pueblo up to Beulah and Wetmore, plus I have a great route that takes you to Fountain 1/3 on dirt. Canon City has a few fun routes, in the Garden Park/ Red Canyon area, that are mostly unknown, (great area to just explore in). I head up to Colorado Springs sometimes and hit Cheyenne State park or Air Academy if I want to do some hill work on the mtb. Can't forget Salida and the surrounding rides- the Crest trail is 2 hours away.
I personally enjoy the solitude I find riding the routes around Pueblo. I work in health care and deal with people in the highs and lows of their lives all week long. When I want to ride with friends there is a hardcore group of about 2 or 3 dozen people in Pueblo who love the feel of 2 wheels and bend over backwards to make sure the community grows, everything from building trails and putting on the April race to stopping on the trail and giving you a spare tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.