Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I road today and it wasn't pretty. I think that the current trail conditions are pretty optimistic. I "road" down Keyhole today and it was still about 90% snow covered. There were also plenty of places on Duke and Cuatro Sinko that were muddy beyond just surface mud. South Shore was a sloppy mess and I would avoid it until this weekend. I would say this is the dirtiest my bike has been since I lived in Iowa. I'm thinking it's going to be closer to Thursday or Friday before it's really in rideable shape.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got my sights set more on Pedro's, Outer Limits, and Voodoo for some miles. Are those any more likely to be snow-free, being out in the open?

·
Registered
85 Posts
...better chance evan, yo. I've done the loops and had decently dry (er) conditions (voodoo et al, as you indicate) when the canyons were f'ed w/ mud and snow.

good luck, have fun!

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
I was out there today. I knew better than to ride the actual South Shore trail (Gumbo Mud!), and that was reinforced when a friend of mine had just gotten back from doing the trails. He had to walk in spots, and said it was pretty much un-rideable (this was at noon). I went up Duke, which wasn't bad, except for the horse tracks (trashed the trail). I skipped Rodeo cause I know it gets bad when it pulls out of the canyon. Pinball was dry, Rattlesnake and Bones had a few snowy spots, while Freeride was pretty snowy in the middle and below the rock ramp. I kicked the drift below the Freeride rock ramp, as it was pretty deep. Rollercoaster had some snow and mud spots, but wasn't bad. I walked down Lower Dog, but it was pretty ugly, so I skipped it. I rode Cuatro Sinko (lots of snow and mud spots down low, but at least it is more sandy and gravelly) to Pedros (trashed by horses), and then Outer Limits (snow spots but mostly dry). Got about 25 miles in.

It still needs a couple of days, and the amount of water still in the ground will keep some of the trails pretty ugly. Anything down low towards the actual South Shore trails, Waterfall, and anything that likes to hold water needs some more time. I figured the storm last week, gave them anywhere from 6-10 inches of snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Dry by Pres Day

I am planning on heading down with a group of guys on Monday to ride. The weather forecast shows sunny days with temp in the 50's through Monday, do you guys think it will be mud free by my ride?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
davemk said:
I am planning on heading down with a group of guys on Monday to ride. The weather forecast shows sunny days with temp in the 50's through Monday, do you guys think it will be mud free by my ride?
If it doesn't snow again probably not mud free but most of the worst sections in the open areas should be in better shape (ie: more tacky wet than 3" of clay on the tire). I also rode on Tuesday 2/15 and the above descriptions are accurate much more snow/mud than the "official" trail report describes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah. That's what I figured. My bag is only rated to +15 so it'd be close.

I'm going to co spring sunday afternoon for a wedding party and was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 spoke.

Anything dry around the spring that'd be good for an hour or 2 ride?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
SubaDrew said:
yeah. That's what I figured. My bag is only rated to +15 so it'd be close.

I'm going to co spring sunday afternoon for a wedding party and was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 spoke.

Anything dry around the spring that'd be good for an hour or 2 ride?
Pretty much everything in C Springs is good to ride with some mud/ice in the shady areas. Sunday weather = 30% chance of rain & snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Springs update

On Tues, I rode the small pocket of trails allowed in GoG, and they were moisty but not sticky, so the riding was fast and the loops enjoyable. Then I bounced over to Red Rocks and found most trails there were a bit moister, but still rideable without collecting soil samples, except for the SE leg of the RoundUp trail. That trail, up beyond the rock slab and switchbacks, has grievous mud and nasty hidden ice for several hundred yards. Just barely walkable there. You can ride cleanly all the way up to the Intemann trail on the connecter, so a good hillclimb is avaiable by several different routes. There are other trails on the hogsback ridge to the east of the main Red Rocks; these are not as moist and were rideable last weekend all the way to the Intemann. This hogsback is the nicest, most technical ride in the Red Rocks area (but not that rough) and it's a good ride down as well. The trailhead is the lot on 30th street.

Palmer Park is plenty dry in most areas but should be avoided because the trails are getting seriously destroyed by overuse. I know, I live two blocks from this sad, selfish abuse and will not ride there. The soils can't take it and we as a bike community need to respect this so the park lasts for generations

The Falcon trail isn't ready yet either, but can be ridden when wet because it's mostly sand. I haven't checked on the other open spaces, but my guess is Bear Creek, because of its solar aspect, is rideable now. The Chutes and Stratton are probably patchy snow and ice but rideable with care.

Safe and sustainable riding to everyone!!

·
People of zee wurl,Relax!
341 Posts
Any updates on Pueblo trails?

I want to drive down there tomorrow morning to ride but will try the Springs trails if it's still snowy and muddy down there. The Pueblo web site shows that it's good to ride but those pictures from a couple days ago don't look so great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.