Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in San Francisco and have no means of transporting my bike and myself to the trail heads... other than what is available to the public. so my question is if anyone knows any good trails that are accessible to via muni, bart, train. i prefer to cut riding on the pavement to a minimum since my tires ware pretty fast (cheap hutch scorpions) but dont let that hold you back too much.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you have a driver's license then there's a few car sharing programs here in SF as well. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=car+share+program+san+francisco&btnG=Search

I've never used the public transport, though, just ride a road bike around town or do some inner city riding in the parks/open spaces around town. You should be able to get to Marin fairly easily on the bus. Taking caltrain down the peninsula won't get you too close to much without some more street riding, but Waterdog isn't too far up from Belmont. Bart can take you reasonably close to Mt Diablo or Joaquin Miller.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
www.511.org is a great resource for public transportation. Google maps even has a built in public transportation module when mapping driving directions out.

For access into Marin, Golden Gate Transit operates the 70/80 line which goes all the way up into Santa Rosa. That will give you access to many trails along the corridor. Tamarancho in Fairfax, China Camp in San Rafael and maybe even Annadel. You might have to take another bus or pedal in.

Also for the south bay you could take Caltrain? to Belmont and ride at Waterdog park. Or just right across the GG bridge into the headlands and beyond. I (we) do that often.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, for the tips. ill see what time and money i can scrape up to go to JMP or something. money is the issue with the whole no car deal. ie cant afford to rent or pay for gas. i have a license just cant afford to drive

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,462 Posts
I wrote an article on this a few years back for Cycle California Magazine. They have talked about putting it online as a resource, but haven't quite gotten up to the 20th century computer wise. Until then, I have a PDF of what I submitte4d (which is missing some of the good edits they made for the final print) at http://singlespeed.org/temp/CC-autofreemtb.pdf.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.