Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to throw some good words to Fish and Cactus. . .

To come into a shop an hour before closing, having never met the guy helping me spec, order, and build my bike, and have him A. tell me to open the beer it's a bike shop, but B. say "I'm not leaving tonight till this sucker is finished and dialed." Two solid reasons to come back, but then I got to see him working on and building my bike like a one man assembly line, it's like he has an extra set of arms/hands.

I think we ended up staying about an hour and a half past closing. Watching that man work on a bike is freaking art it really is beautiful it adds a whole other element and "feel" to the newly built bike. He even handled the disgruntled customer who came back in and said "my bikes still broken, you need to re fix it now. . . " followed by a "dude the chain slipped off. . . hear ya go".

Anyway really really pleased with the work done for me and on my bike, through a series of probably a hundred emails and a matter of two shipping days and one build day we were set.

Thanks again Fish, couldn't be happier, and she rips.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Funny... you and I are always on AZMTBR nice and early in the morning... are you also drinking coffee and eating oatmeal?

Great that Fish took such good care of you. Now that you've witnessed a build, next time you can build your own bike! It's not that hard if you have the right tools.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coffee for sure. . . we just got a new little espresso machine. . .

I'm an early bird I get hours of work done every morning, and then I get to ride.

I really wanted to build it and when I mentioned that to him it was like I had taken his ice cream away or something, sad pouty puppy eyes type of thing. He's like well dude it's kinda my thing. . . and it's true he really loves putting them together. I did say that I'm glad he built this one, but next time it's my turn. That'll have to be the big DH sled in years to come.

The only fall short areas I think would be spacing with the BB with the BB mounted chain guide, . . . the headset was integrated which made it nice.

Off to T100

Cheers

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
That's the difference between "cool" shops and everyone else. Those guys at Cactus are just a bunch of bike freaks like all of us so it's not really like "work" for them , it's what they'd be doing anyway. Oh yeah, since nobody else said it...

This thread is useless without pictures :p

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
Just wanted to throw some good words to Fish and Cactus. . .

To come into a shop an hour before closing, having never met the guy helping me spec, order, and build my bike, and have him A. tell me to open the beer it's a bike shop, but B. say "I'm not leaving tonight till this sucker is finished and dialed." Two solid reasons to come back, but then I got to see him working on and building my bike like a one man assembly line, it's like he has an extra set of arms/hands.

I think we ended up staying about an hour and a half past closing. Watching that man work on a bike is freaking art it really is beautiful it adds a whole other element and "feel" to the newly built bike. He even handled the disgruntled customer who came back in and said "my bikes still broken, you need to re fix it now. . . " followed by a "dude the chain slipped off. . . hear ya go".

Anyway really really pleased with the work done for me and on my bike, through a series of probably a hundred emails and a matter of two shipping days and one build day we were set.

Thanks again Fish, couldn't be happier, and she rips.
Fish did the same thing for me about 4 years ago, and I brought in half the parts myself that I bought online. It required a 12-pack of Newcastle, but hey I got 3 of them. That's why I keep going back and buying stuff there, even if I don't really need it. :thumbsup: The only thing that sucks now is I don't see Fish around as much as I used to.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken here you go. . .

posted elsewhere but hey Im all about throwin up pics of the new steed. . . here ya go. . .

better yet shes all scratched up!

And the 1x9 is direct inspiration from KennyB. . . almost went with a DJ but as you can see went with this. . .

Attachments

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,325 Posts
That build look insane! Very nice!

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
That is such a clean frame. I'm really liking the low-key graphics.

·
Hikers=SHlT
192 Posts
Fish and his employees are awesome. I've stopped by twice (unannounced) with my Loki to get my derailleurs adjusted before hitting the trails and they've always worked me in. I recently sent my father-in-law to Cactus Bikes with his old proflex K2 and he came back praising Fish.

A+ service

·
Fly High!
1,104 Posts
I dunna man Fish is pretty wierd and he likes those wide 30+ bars! Those are goofy! ya Truckee you had a B1tchin bike untill you F'd it up with the 30's ............lol just joking I bought the last pair!!! so just you me and fishy rockin the MAN bars! :)

G

·
Fish? Seriously? That guy is a jack hole! :D

Kidding obviously, Fish is not only a ninja with the Park Tools, he is a genuinely good person and even though I work on my own rig's at the shop, he's always looking over my shoulder just waiting to give me grief about something.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, Truckee, I took my hardtail monster out for a run on Saturday and still feel like my spine is compressed!

·
No Clue Crew
7,297 Posts
So, I was heading down to SoMo today for my third dial-in run on my new Astrix. Got halfway there and remembered all the front der. issues I'm having.

So, funny story, I stop by SMC on Ray and walk in. I'm nice about it as I have low expectations, but ask if they can work me onto the stand real quick to tweak the der. Now, the dude is all alone in the store, it's totally empty, no bike repairs on the stands. He says to me, "Well, I can try to work you in on Wednesday." I chortle and walk out the door.

Stop by Cactus, again not expecting them to be able to help, but wanted to ask. Fish has it thrown right up on the stand and got it pretty good to go. And then wouldn't take any money. I see some beer inbound for them next time I'm down there.
d

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Blatant said:
So, I was heading down to SoMo today for my third dial-in run on my new Astrix. Got halfway there and remembered all the front der. issues I'm having.

So, funny story, I stop by SMC on Ray and walk in. I'm nice about it as I have low expectations, but ask if they can work me onto the stand real quick to tweak the der. Now, the dude is all alone in the store, it's totally empty, no bike repairs on the stands. He says to me, "Well, I can try to work you in on Wednesday." I chortle and walk out the door.

Stop by Cactus, again not expecting them to be able to help, but wanted to ask. Fish has it thrown right up on the stand and got it pretty good to go. And then wouldn't take any money. I see some beer inbound for them next time I'm down there.
d
SMC used to be awesome. but they are no more. Back in the days of bob and matt and the old dude, they were great, but now they really piss me off every time im there. my buddy bought a bike from them and they do nothing but treat him like absolute crap. continuously. The elitest attitude is thick enough to choke a goat there. i could go on and on about them but thats not what this post is about. i typically hate all bike shops, but cactus is not one of them. global too, well lately anyways. but cactus has consistently been very professional courteous, and extremely helpful. they built my blindside in a day and have built eabos BS as well. great shop with great emp. worth the trip.

·
No Clue Crew
7,297 Posts
Yeah, you know, I hadn't been to SMC for years. Last time I was there I had a really good experience. Cactus came through, though. And, a few months ago, they were the only ones that could come through quickly with the Hope brake rotor I needed after I, uh, drove my wife's Jeep over one of my wheels ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
3-minutes before closing on the last Sunday before Christmas

"What's happening, Tiny," Fish asks as I push my bike through the front door.

"Dropping it off. . ."

Before I can protest, he hoists it up on the stand.

"He doesn’t wait for me to tell him what's wrong before he's wrist deep into my bike’s suspension. "It's your shock, dude, couplings stuck."

"Yeah, squeaking like a rusted screen door. But seriously,” I plead, “you guys are about to close. I will come back."

An hour and five minutes later after pulling off my shock, grinding down the coupling, greasing and reassembling it then readjusting the rebound, Fish pulls my bike off the stand and says, "Merry Christmas, brother."

Fish, Joey, Steve-O, Dustin, Brian, and the rest are an awesome group of guys. I've never regretted a dime I've spent there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts