Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit of a rant and hopefully some good advice e to MTBR members regarding Performance Bike Shop in Peoria.

I broke a rear mech and needed one quick. I called my LBS first and they did not stock the SRAM mech I needed. The next closest is Perf. Bike in Peoria. They had the mech and could get it installed. I was hesitant, but so be it.

This is was going on a very recent build. Literally all driveline, cables, shifters, chain were less than a month old. I took it in and spoke with Rich who demanded to replace the cables, even the front mech cable in order to "properly" adjust. Then of course the 1 moth old SRAM 971 chain was no good and needed to be replaced. After reluctantly agreeing to this BS surely my bike otta shift like butta right???

After picking it up and taking it home which was 20 miles away, I check the shifting and adjustments. OMG. The front was so poorly adjusted it was rubbing on one side or the other of the front cage in more than 1/2 the gear selections. In some it rubbed so hard, the cranks were quite difficult to turn as the cage and chain were binding. I took the bike back the next day and Rich was not in and the on duty tech had zero skill. I left it there and went to pick it up the next day. It is still half ass but is rideable.

My solution, by the tools and do all the work myself as there is limited access in the NW valley to LBS's that actually know what they are doing and care enough to do it right the first time.

Peoria Perf. Bike is a terrible shop and needs at the very least to have a complete management and employee overhaul.

Rich, their "Spin Doctor" has a seriously bad attitude, is taking advantage of customers and needs to consider finding new work.

Not only will I NEVER go back to Perf. in Peoria, I will not support their online ventures.

I hope this helps someone in the community to choose to go to a different shop and minimize their trips and frustration.

Sorry for taking up the web space for those that already new this about Perf. Bike in Peoria. Lesson learned for me.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
you paid with a credit card? call them up and tell them they need to do the repairs competently or else you'll do a chargeback.

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
Too bad about that. Sounds like the guy needed to be told that he would not replace except was was required and to be reminded who he really worked for -- his customer.

My experiences with the Scottsdale Performance Bike service department have been great and very different fro yours. Their main dude recently left, unfortunately, but he was easily the best bike mechanic I have every met. The people he left behind are competent and very helpful without the BS attitude you encountered.

For the most part, the sales people are very decent too, with one glaring exception.

There are usually cheaper places to buy, but I do frequent them for incidentals, take advantage of the deals, and use their service people when the need arises.

I too try and do my own wrenching but sometimes I want the reassurance of a pro. Sounds like the West end store is not the place to go for that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
sorry to hear your troubles. if ever i needed my bike to be work on i'll take it to Bikers Edge at 83rd and peoria. they are friendly and looks like their mechanics knows what they are doing. not to mention their tune ups is only 30 bux(last i asked).

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience....but seriously, changing out a RD takes 5 minutes...if you know how to check that it's adjusted improperly, then fix it yourself. I'm not meaning to be harsh, just pragmatic.

I love my LBS....Love them....but I won't even let them do work on it unless I'm in a jam. No one knows my bike, better than I. A wrench working on my bike would not be able to know that my hanger is slightly out of alignment which requires a little bit of "body-english-heft" when tuning things up to get it to work properly.....not their fault, they don't ride my bike day in and day out.

Learn to do your own work....hazard the alternative.

·
"No Clue Crew"
2,459 Posts
iammemares said:
This is was going on a very recent build. Literally all driveline, cables, shifters, chain were less than a month old. I took it in and spoke with Rich who demanded to replace the cables, even the front mech cable in order to "properly" adjust. Then of course the 1 moth old SRAM 971 chain was no good and needed to be replaced. After reluctantly agreeing to this BS surely my bike otta shift like butta right???
I'm lucky if I get a FULL month out of any of these parts..... Then again I break EVERYTHING. Sorry to hear. Fine a LBS you trust and feel good going into, EVEN when you're NOT spending money. If you need a part they don't stock and need, there is NO shame in buying it somewhere else and bringing it to them. my .02 ............Drew

·
Alive and Lurkin'
597 Posts
Performance is the walmart of bike shops. Go there for parts, never for service. Just the same as I would never take my bike to REI or any other type of outlet store. Local shops are the only way to go if you can't do it yourself.

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
Jibro said:
Performance is the walmart of bike shops. Go there for parts, never for service. Just the same as I would never take my bike to REI or any other type of outlet store. Local shops are the only way to go if you can't do it yourself.
The generalization is not a rule. It is not about the name on the door or the size of the place, it is always about the people. There are LBS that are completely useless too. Again, Scottsdale Performance has been great for me the times I have used them.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Just currious...
Did you confront anyone at the store about your issues before starting a thread here? I'm also currious about why you went along with it when the mech "demended" replacing the cables and chain. Why did you let him do it if you thought it didn't make sense?
You make it sound like this evil Rich character forced you to go to Performance and refused to help you if you did not meet all of his demands. :confused:
Oh well, hopefully lesson learned, but next time start a thread here with questions if you think you're getting sketchy advice. You'll probably get a solid answer within an hour.
I'm usually compelled to defend the shop against a flame online especially when it seems they weren't given a fair chance to make good on the situation.

·
"No Clue Crew"
2,459 Posts
I went in there last week and this Rich guy "made me" tie my shoe!!!! He's out of control!!!! :) I kind of know the feeling BUT wouldn't use the word "demanded". I would use guilted. I got "guilted" last week into dropping 400+ on my EG.:D

·
Meatbomb
7,843 Posts
It's really hit or miss. I took my bike to the LBS I purchased it from with some brake issues. After keeping it for almost a week they said it was fixed.... It was not. So, I tried another LBS highly recommended on this site. They fixed the brakes but when I rode it , it shifted like crap, the front der was way out of whack rubbing on the chain and it would bump shift on small hits. I called them and asked what they had done to cause the shifting to be so whacked out when they only worked on the brakes. They told me I could bring it in and they would tune it up for a fee... I smelled a scam so i took it elsewhere for the tune up it did not need prior to the brake work being done.

·
Alive and Lurkin'
597 Posts
DesertCrawler said:
The generalization is not a rule. It is not about the name on the door or the size of the place, it is always about the people. There are LBS that are completely useless too. Again, Scottsdale Performance has been great for me the times I have used them.
I really didn't want to get in to it, but the Performance store in Scottsdale is no reliable place to go for service. Long story short is that they couldn't even build my 2 year old daughters bike correctly that I ordered through them.

Rant to begin here:
They didn't call me when it arrived like they said they would. 2.5 weeks later when I called them to find out what's going on, they found the order but they couldn't find the bike. Then I get a call three hours later saying the bike was there. I told them I would be there in a few hours. When I got there they couldn't find the bike. Three sales people later, bike found, and he says "Here ya Go!". I take a quick look it it and see the tires are flat, the chain is rubbing against the chain guard, there's grease on the grips and frame, and the training wheels were rubbing against the frame scratching off the paint.

Edit: Btw, Perf Scts did "fix" all the issues I pointed out. It's just sad that that I even had to.

So amend my previous statement to say "If you cant do it yourself, go to a reliable local bike shop." (I go to Rage, awesome shop! their mechs know their stuff :thumbsup: )

It's the same with most of my equipment, I would never take my Skis or Snowboards to a place like Dick's Sports for a tune or repair. (I do my own tunes and repair) I go to a real ski shop...

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
PSA: If you know your parts are in new condition. Don't let an LBS sell you new ones.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Grave9 said:
I went in there last week and this Rich guy "made me" tie my shoe!!!! He's out of control!!!! :) I kind of know the feeling BUT wouldn't use the word "demanded". I would use guilted. I got "guilted" last week into dropping 400+ on my EG.:D
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
774 Posts
There is no shop in Arizona that does it better than the other. I take my bike to a person I trust knows what the hell they are doing with what needs done, or I spend my time and do it myself.

·
Registered
164 Posts
or challenge them...

trb2929 said:
PSA: If you know your parts are in new condition. Don't let an LBS sell you new ones.
If a bike shop told me I needed to replace something I know was new, the first question I would ask is "based on what ? show me how you came to that conclusion ?"

I'd expect them to pull our a chain checker (a tool used to measure chain stretch) and I'd want to see the measurement. It could have been a factory defect so they guy might be right, but I'd still make him prove it.

Goes with bikes, cars or anything lese. I always ask for the old parts and ask them to show me why it had to be replaced.

A life lesson, but never take someone's word for anything....

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
trb2929 said:
You mean *****ing and moaning on the internet about how you got taken advantage of is not the best solution?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts