Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Pt Reyes on Friday and Saturday with the wifey. :D (I rode there once before and camped near the beach but that trip was more about the group I was with and the hikes we did.) Anyway, I've always wanted to get back out there to check it out. After doing a search for threads about Pt Reyes I decided not to tag on to a certain notorious thread about that area but hopefully I won't have my bike confiscated for riding out there (I just sold my other bike so I would be without!) ;)

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
Ther is legal riding in the area. Mt Vision, BoFax ridge. It exists, but don't go dorking out on the hiker only trails by the bluff.
That's where you will get popped, you're totally exposed and people can see you from miles away in some places...

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Make sure you hit up the bike shop in pt reyes station. it's almost a vintage mountain bike museum, they can also direct you to a suitable ride for you and your ladeh

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mixed feelings about trip...

We rode the Coast trail on Friday (short but spectacular coastal views). :thumbsup: Then on Saturday we rode the Stewart Trail from the Five Brooks trailhead, a heavy duty climb up and over the ridge to the coast and back. It was super smokey on Friday, all the Mendocino fires were blowing down the coast. Saturday didn't seem to be as smokey but it was pretty foggy. The highlight of the entire trip might have been the bobcat we saw (not caught by camera :madman: ) while taking a short hike near Olema on Friday night. We kind of snuck up on him, he scurried through a big dead branch on the ground and ran off into the bushes. It was pretty cool. The low point of the weekend came on the Stewart trail on Saturday when an equestrian rider yelled at us (while we were stopped!). She warned us that we better not ride fast past her group (who was also stopped about 50 yards away). Then as we crept (I mean, as slow as you can possibly ride down a very moderate hill), she proceeded to yell at me for riding way too fast. Then another woman in the group said that we need to understand that young horses can be jumpy. The temptation to lash back was almost unbearable but I bit my tongue and told her we were riding as slow as possible and wished them well. I have to admit, it really put a damper on our day. :mad: It was cool to go out there because the wifey really wanted to ride where you could get some ocean views but really, the 'trails' are roads and generally mtbr's are not very welcome - newsflash, I know. I missed the shop in Pt Reyes, they were closed, maybe next time. Too bad there isn't more access out there... Coastal and oceanic landforms Coast Sand Shore Terrain

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.