Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday night at 8pm I am going out for my first night ride. Thought it might be cool to have some other people to ride with if anyone's interested.

I'm thinking of climbing the long fireroad (Overlook?) and going down Guadalasca. Depending on how tired I/we are and the time maybe we hit up some of the single tracks too. I don't plan on setting any speed records, just having a fun relaxing ride.

I get done working around 5:45 in El Segundo. Even with LA traffic I shouldn't have a problem making it there in a little over 2hrs. :skep:

If you're interested let me know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
More than likely you'll have the canyon to yourself. I'm going in around 5:30 till 8 or so. I rode right at 70 miles in the canyon this weekend. The trails in the higher elevation are truly in exceptional shape. Instead of climbing overlook which in my opinon is boring, climb backbone and then decend guad. I climbed Backbone twice this weekend and there's not a better climb in the canyon.

Peace

·
Registered
350 Posts
Guad is awesome 24 hours a day. Pt. Mugu State Park is open 24 hours a day 365 days a years except during a high fire warning(really bad Santa Ana's). I've rarely seen the upper northern gate closed. I do a lot of night riding there(8pm-4am) and you'd be surprised at the amount of riders you'll see at odd times. Again the trails right now are top notch.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
kdiff said:
Tuesday night at 8pm I am going out for my first night ride. Thought it might be cool to have some other people to ride with if anyone's interested.

If you're interested let me know. :thumbsup:
Wish I could make it but I cannot. I agree with going up backbone and down guad.

Have fun, be safe and hopefully you will do this again!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that was an interesting ride. It was good but felt very eerie at the same time.

"Fun bolts" on the rear hub are not so fun when you get a flat at night..especially when you hear something big splash through the creek not far from you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Actually it may have been a indian ghost running through the creek. As I was coming out of the canyon around 7, there were 2 groups(4-6 riders each) going into the park so you shouldn't have been alone. It was just about as perfect a evening for riding. Tonight should even be nicer leaving at 5 if anyone is interested. Entering from the Satiwia entrance.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be cool if I could join but I can't make it.

The weather was nice last night. During my ride down Guad it was pretty neat hitting areas where the temperature changed dramatically from the area I was just in.

On my way to Backbone I saw a group of 3-4 riders (couldn't tell exactly, their lights were blinding me) and a group of two riders on the fire road headed towards PCH/campground. Other then that I didn't see anyone.

Honestly, it was almost too quiet. I didn't even see any wildlife except for two doves, a rodent, and two owls. If I saw some more animals it wouldn't have felt so creepy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.