Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, there are more and more races being won and kiddie wheel riders being passed out on the trails by us 29er rebels.

My INSIDIOUS suggestion: We all just start saying "29er!" as we put the pass on some poor MBA befuddled evil kiddie wheel rider. They may not realize that they are being bested by a SUPERIOR WHEELSIZE, not just our studlyness (29er dirt divas included of course)! It is our duty to help them overcome the brainwashing that the mainstream bicycle media spreads.

Enough "29er!" passes will slowly chip through the veils of deception that keeps the MTB masses thinking that the 26er wheel is the all around best idea.

I can think of no better way of helping our narrow minded brothers and sisters out on the trails to discover the error of their ways.

This is social engineering at work folks. So let's all ride lots so we all can "29er!" pass LOTS more of the "wheel diameter challenged" ! If this helps us to train with a religious fervor, all the better!

Thanks for reading my meglomaniacal rant!

Can this work? Or am I just crazed??? I do, after all, run a Thudbuster on my 293...

29erchico

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answer to question

Nope, 47years young. I try not to be "all growed up" all of the time.

20 years riding mtb's.

Now I have a question for you:

Are you known to have a sense of humor?

Not that I mind your not finding my raving humorous.
Just curious.

29erchico

SpinWheelz said:
What're you, 12?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
29erchico said:
Ok, there are more and more races being won and kiddie wheel riders being passed out on the trails by us 29er rebels.

My INSIDIOUS suggestion: We all just start saying "29er!" as we put the pass on some poor MBA befuddled evil kiddie wheel rider. They may not realize that they are being bested by a SUPERIOR WHEELSIZE, not just our studlyness (29er dirt divas included of course)! It is our duty to help them overcome the brainwashing that the mainstream bicycle media spreads.

Enough "29er!" passes will slowly chip through the veils of deception that keeps the MTB masses thinking that the 26er wheel is the all around best idea.

I can think of no better way of helping our narrow minded brothers and sisters out on the trails to discover the error of their ways.

This is social engineering at work folks. So let's all ride lots so we all can "29er!" pass LOTS more of the "wheel diameter challenged" ! If this helps us to train with a religious fervor, all the better!

Thanks for reading my meglomaniacal rant!

Can this work? Or am I just crazed??? I do, after all, run a Thudbuster on my 293...

29erchico
Just hold up nine fingers on the winner's podium. If they wonder what it means, they'll ask.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I think it a very cool thing to do, if it suits your psyche. Where I race, most know me, so I don't have to introduce myself anymore when passing (if ever). I'm not just the only 29" rider in my races, but can now also more easily be identified by Funky Bar setups. I hope it hurts them deep inside when I pass, and clearly tke corners quicker or cross the sand pit easier. Earlier this month in a race I carried out multiple high-speed overtaking manouevres, on low-speed mud trails. Maybe it's just a dozen of them, but they're hurting right now.

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
the looks

its usually the look of shame i appreciate most. the look of shame when i pass the squishy crew on my rigid SS. of course they are on the "good line" and i have to pass in the rough. that only makes it better.

since the beginning of the year is when most of my friends get a new bike, i have to say, "yeah nice new bike, except for the wrong wheel size."

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
I like it

I like it, but since I typically get started behind the beginner jr's, and beginner women, the message may lose some of it's potency.....can you see it: I blow past a 13yr old on 24" kids bike, screamin' "29er comin' through, outta the WAAAYYYY"

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ncj01 said:
screamin' "29er comin' through, outta the WAAAYYYY"
Greeaatt, coffee all over the screen now, picturing some kid with a terror stricken expression on his face diving for the bush...

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, lets not terrorize real children with "29er!" passes!

Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that post by ncj01.

For "29er!" passing I like the understated vocal approach employed by the "land shark" in the old Sat. Nite Live show as it tried to get a potential victim to open their door so it could eat their heads.

Screaming something at the slower can make them crash, taking you out as well. Only cool if you are into self-mutatilation.

29erchico

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
bikecop said:
29erchico is just expressing his enthusiasm for the 29 inch bicycle. This is the place to do it.
i think the deeper question being hinted around here is this:

Relative to expanding 29 into the mainstream, do we want to (possible poll topic):

1) hush, keep it quiet, it's our secret weapon

or

2) sing it from the mountain tops, everyone should know how cool it/we are

or

3) ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal stance is Sing it from the Mountain Tops. More people = more parts, more choices, more benifit of scale pricing = good for us all.

Related: I don't take as much enjoyment from beating someone due to merely equipment. I'd rather duke it out with someone the same as me (including equipment), and beat them becuase I trained harder, or I wanted it more, or I'm a better rider...

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
it's just not fair

ncj01 said:
I don't take as much enjoyment from beating someone due to merely equipment. I'd rather duke it out with someone the same as me (including equipment), and beat them becuase I trained harder, or I wanted it more, or I'm a better rider...
Yeah....Yeah, Me too! ;)

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
The fanboyism (is there really is such a word... ahh, screw it, I'm making it a word) demonstrated in this thread completely reeks of a 47 year old dude who just got laid for the first time running into a brothel to thump his chest about how awesome it is to get shagged.

Seriously, this is pathetic. Is this what the 29er 'club' has turned into now? I've been working on a 29er option for months now (as evidenced by my continuing queries in this forum), but if this is what it turns you into, I think I might be happy sticking with my so-called kiddie wheels.

When a buddy of mine called 29ers the brutish SUVs of the MTB world, I called bullsh!t on that claim. Now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
The fanboyism (is there really is such a word... ahh, screw it, I'm making it a word) demonstrated in this thread completely reeks of a 47 year old dude who just got laid for the first time running into a brothel to thump his chest about how awesome it is to get shagged.

Seriously, this is pathetic. Is this what the 29er 'club' has turned into now? I've been working on a 29er option for months now (as evidenced by my continuing queries in this forum), but if this is what it turns you into, I think I might be happy sticking with my so-called kiddie wheels.

When a buddy of mine called 29ers the brutish SUVs of the MTB world, I called bullsh!t on that claim. Now I'm not so sure.
Can ya feel the love? I'm pretty sure 29erchico doesn't really believe that hollering that phrase out would be the right thing to do, I think what he said is usually referred to as a "joke" (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong 29c). Am I the only one who misses what the 29er board was a couple years ago?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
motivations?

I want the 29er thing to grow. Don't care to displace 26er wheels.

Just want more parts choices available. Would love to have a 5" F&R travel light freeride 29er bike. The market must get bigger for these things to become viable for manufacturers.

Viva la evolution!

29erchico

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
RobW said:
Am I the only one who misses what the 29er board was a couple years ago?
Clearly this thread was a joke thread from teh beginning, no idea why some are getting flustered about it...

What was the 29er board like a couple years ago? I thought I was on-board early on (pun intended), but don't recall it being "alot" different.

Related: Is it not natural for a board devoted to a sub-mainstream bike/type evolve over time as it gains more momentum, options, readers, riders, equipment, makers, etc?

Somewhat related: The first time I had EVER heard of a 29er was in late 2001. I had bought a new 2000 Supercaliber, and a new 2001 Supercaliber, race each bike 1 season, and was on the verge of putting in a pre-order for a 2002 Supercaliber when I learned that Fisher was no longer offering my beloved supercal like i liked it, but was instead doing some crazy crap with the wheels...I promptly abandoned Fisher and got an Ibis Softtail. I've come full circle now, me thinks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.