Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too cold for to do much riding so my mind is wandering. I need to know if this makes any sense at all. Last year I did the SM100 but only made it 57 miles before I pulled out. I simply didn't get enough hill work in during the summer. I plan to try working more hills this year but work too many hours to get long rides in during the week.

This year I swapped to a 1X9 29er. At the same time I changed out my old 32T ring to a 34T. Combine the bigger wheels with the bigger ring and my 29er becomes a lot steeper on the gears this year. I figure this will force me to work harder and become stronger.

So anyway, if I were to train all season with the 34T ring and then drop down to a 32T for the SM100, would that in anyway overcome my inability to get heavy hill-work in? Lower gearing than I'm used to should let me spin a little easier to conserve energy for the long ride and heavy climbing.

Or am I suffering from cabin fever here?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Vecsus said:
Too cold for to do much riding so my mind is wandering. I need to know if this makes any sense at all. Last year I did the SM100 but only made it 57 miles before I pulled out. I simply didn't get enough hill work in during the summer. I plan to try working more hills this year but work too many hours to get long rides in during the week.

This year I swapped to a 1X9 29er. At the same time I changed out my old 32T ring to a 34T. Combine the bigger wheels with the bigger ring and my 29er becomes a lot steeper on the gears this year. I figure this will force me to work harder and become stronger.

So anyway, if I were to train all season with the 34T ring and then drop down to a 32T for the SM100, would that in anyway overcome my inability to get heavy hill-work in? Lower gearing than I'm used to should let me spin a little easier to conserve energy for the long ride and heavy climbing.

Or am I suffering from cabin fever here?
If you have a 1X9 I assume you mean you have one chainring and 9 cogs.

If you switch to a bigger chainring for training, you will likely just shift to a lower geared cog to compensate. There would be no net gain. The only difference would be when you are in your lowest geared cog you wouldn't be able to shift any lower, and so you could occasionally bottom out your minimum gearing. Short of that, I see no difference.

I think you need to intentionally train, not assume that a different ring is going to make you train right. For example, go out on some rides and intentionally leave the bike in a high gear (defacto single speed) for a muscle tension workout.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be doing that as well, intentionally staying in a higher gear than I might otherwise use. I often do the pseudo-singlespeed thing and ride most of a trail without shifting.

Just trying to think of decent ways to overcome my inability to get in real hill work. I'm also spending a lot more time standing and hammering rather than sit and spin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.