Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just built up another chameloen single speed. in the past i have always rode panaracer fire xc pros (2.1) or hutchinson misquito (2.0) and always ran 38psi. this weekend i ran 2.3 hutchinson misquitos with 38psi and it seemed to take quite a bit more effort to push these. now i understand that a 2.3 with take more effort than a 2.0, but this was noticable alot more effort. should i be running more psi since i am running a wider tire? please help...

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
pcrage_2 said:
just built up another chameloen single speed. in the past i have always rode panaracer fire xc pros (2.1) or hutchinson misquito (2.0) and always ran 38psi. this weekend i ran 2.3 hutchinson misquitos with 38psi and it seemed to take quite a bit more effort to push these. now i understand that a 2.3 with take more effort than a 2.0, but this was noticable alot more effort. should i be running more psi since i am running a wider tire? please help...
Usually you run lower pressure with bigger tires. You will get better traction and a better ride. If you are using the same gearing with the 2.3s as you used with smaller tires it will be harder because the taller tires raise the actual gear.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Really fat tires aren't for XC racing

Running lower tire pressure in fatter tires should actually help you ride smoother and more efficiently through rough sections. That's the advantage to fatties - you can run lower psi's and not get pinch flats.

There usually is, however, more rolling resistance (and weight) with fatter tires - enough added resistance that the sum effect will be a slightly slower bike, but a much smoother ride.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shiggy©®™ said:
Usually you run lower pressure with bigger tires. You will get better traction and a better ride. If you are using the same gearing with the 2.3s as you used with smaller tires it will be harder because the taller tires raise the actual gear.
so what kind of psi should i be running?
i am running 32:18 gearing, should i consider changing gearing to make up for the larger tires? if so, by how much?
weight wise there wasnt a very big weight difference between the 2.1 panaracer fire xc pros and the the 2.3 hutchinson misquito.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
pcrage_2 said:
so what kind of psi should i be running?
i am running 32:18 gearing, should i consider changing gearing to make up for the larger tires? if so, by how much?
weight wise there wasnt a very big weight difference between the 2.1 panaracer fire xc pros and the the 2.3 hutchinson misquito.
Start at about 32 psi but you need to find what works best for you. I run 2.3 Hutchies at 26-30 psi. lowering the pressure is also slighty lower the gearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts