Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
STRAVA!!!!!!
886 Posts
These guys (and gals) are so easy to spot every time I'm up on gold camp, old beat up cars with four or five people in it, all smoking. If you do get hit don't go to the CSPD for any help, they tell you to fill out an online report!

·
Registered
103 Posts
This has been an issue everywhere I have lived that has trailheads. Just dont leave a single thing you wish to keep in the vehicle.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
These guys (and gals) are so easy to spot every time I'm up on gold camp, old beat up cars with four or five people in it, all smoking. If you do get hit don't go to the CSPD for any help, they tell you to fill out an online report!
I know that it's a PITA to fill out reports yourself, and we all know that it won't be very likely to help get your stuff back. But if you don't, it becomes an unreported crime.

Stats drive what assignments the cops' supervisors get them. If you ask them why they aren't patrolling the trailheads since there are so many break-ins, they might say "what break-ins?"

Just sayin'

We are amazingly spoiled up here. I usually leave my pickup unlocked with the keys on the floor. It's a hoopty, so it doesn't attract much attention anyway, but still.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
No - this is a good reason to leave *nothing* valuable in your car and leave it UNLOCKED. Otherwise they're just gonna break a window. Have you ever dealt with a smash-n-grab broken window? It's a PITA.

·
Colorado
410 Posts
I had a smash-n-grab happen to my car when I was parked at the Rainbow Gulch Trail parking lot up at Rampart. It was a week day, very few people around, and my friend left his trousers w/wallet in plain view. He lost his wallet, I lost a window. Someone called the Sherriff's office, and by the time we got back to the car a deputy was there waiting for us. He was very helpful, and even drove us around the area for about 30 minutes in the off chance we might see some one who looked like they didn't belong there.

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
After years of owning Jeeps that are usually topless and doorless 6 months out of the year, the only solution is to not keep a single thing of value in your vehicle. ****ing hate thieves

·
Registered
99 Posts
Had my window smashed in at Palmer Park, in the parking lot near the riding stables. Lock your car, keep it unlocked, whatever -- they're going to get in if they see something they think is of value in the front seat. Don't give them a reason. Leave nothing of value unattended. Further, park in a highly-trafficked area of the park, like at the dog park. Thieves won't smash a window in full sight of 10-20 witnesses.

As for the CSPD, I had a diatribe set to write about them, but then it occurred to me, don't count on the police. Just make sure you take proper, common sense measures to take care of yourself.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I came up Templeton Trail in PP last weekend and saw a sketchy guy looking in all the windows of the cars parked up there. After seeing me coming up the hill he bailed into a beater car with a couple others and drove away before I could confront him or get a plate number. I reported the description of the car to CSPD.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Here in Henderson, Nevada in a nice development at a trailehead, My jeep window was smashed. Nothing of value in sight or in the jeep. Glove box and center console gone thru and left open. Footprints all over the dash and steering wheel was messed with. My cooler of beer and energy drinks sitting on the front seat was never opened. :)

I bought a club for the steering wheel. I also leave the glove box and center console open now.

Its a 2004 Jeep Wrangler so I thought being its 10 yrs old it was safe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know that it's a PITA to fill out reports yourself, and we all know that it won't be very likely to help get your stuff back. But if you don't, it becomes an unreported crime.

Stats drive what assignments the cops' supervisors get them. If you ask them why they aren't patrolling the trailheads since there are so many break-ins, they might say "what break-ins?"

Just sayin'

We are amazingly spoiled up here. I usually leave my pickup unlocked with the keys on the floor. It's a hoopty, so it doesn't attract much attention anyway, but still.
Tom
Normally I'd agree with you but this area is well known by the CSPD as a favorite break in area. Reporting a break in for this part of town is a waste of time

·
STRAVA!!!!!!
886 Posts
Tom
Normally I'd agree with you but this area is well known by the CSPD as a favorite break in area. Reporting a break in for this part of town is a waste of time
Our tax dollars hard at work again! Keep up the great work Colorado Springs!
The old grey mare just aint what she used to be, hmm hmmhmmhmm

·
Registered
908 Posts
Anymore, I'm getting close to arguing that police are not there for "our protection", but instead are there to enforce the laws that provide a "revenue stream"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts