Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So after my recent debacle with my 5C swingarm, DB was kind enough to share with me their very serious and specific instructions for taking apart the pivots and re-installing them. Unbeknownst to myself, and I assume anyone who owns a Release, there is a very specific pattern in which DB requires there rear swingarm to be removed with. Failure to do so may result in some very unfriendly results, some of which I'm sure some of you have already fallen prey too from the threads I've read.

So I created a little graphic, see below, to assist in explaining. One thing that is very clear and I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT USE THREAD LOCKER ON ANY PIVOT BOLTS OR AXLES. Also, it may be beneficial not to tighten the bolts and axles fully until you have assembled the entire swingarm back onto the frame to ease the install a bit better. As always be sure to grease all the axles (body & threads), bolt threads, conical washers and make sure everything is torqued to proper specs. :thumbsup:

Enjoy. If you have any question please let me know.

View attachment 1232026
Thanks for posting the information. I just bought a 2017 Release 3. I love the bike. The PO said he only put 40 miles on it. I was trying to decide whether to check the lube on the pivots. It doesn't squeak, so I am tempted to leave well enough alone but when I do disassemble this is very helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. Is it better to take one out and reinstall one at a time
or take them all out at once and then reinstall? Your instructions suggest all at once but I would have thought that would be more difficult to have things line up vs taking them out one at a time. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good info, thanks! Just a heads up to everyone with level link. My Release 4C has around 400 miles on it, I decided to pull the pins as shown above and I’m glad I did. They were dry as can be. Never really had any noise or anything just wanted to check. They’re all lubed up now. I recommend checking them, half hour job at the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just did pivot maintenance on my clutch 2 (aka release). Diamondback has a short video on their website describing how to do this. But they said that the large bolts need to be tightened to 15nm, which when I did this made it way too tight to the point the swing arms would not rotate and it chipped paint on my frame. I’m not sure this is right so I just hand tightened them. The video states that the hex bolts need to be tightened to 8nm, which was no problem. Any insight on this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not sure why Guy.Ford deleted all of his posts. It is a shame as I believe there was useful information that could of benefited the community. :(

Currently doing a full service of my 2017 Release 3 and my interweb searches for DB posts kept coming up with Guy.Ford's deleted posts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Let the air out of your shock so the rear triangle is not loaded. Go one by one IAW the diagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone have torque specs for the shock mounts? I have been using specs from an aluminum Santa Cruz 5010.. the bikes and suspension are very similar but I would like to know if I am at least close to correct.
SC spec sheet specifies 140 lbin (12 lbft or 16nm ) for shock mounts

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is just what I needed!

There should be a copy of the service manual with the link within the link within the link:

https://forums.mtbr.com/diamondback/release-any-owners-yet-1008268-10.html#post14923091
Thank you! That is exactly what I needed. I replaced all of my bearings and torqued it all down to spec with much better results than last time.

Now I am going to do the 200hr service on my shock and my fork. My bike should feel smooth as butter here real soon!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is just what I needed!

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed. I replaced all of my bearings and torqued it all down to spec with much better results than last time.

Now I am going to do the 200hr service on my shock and my fork. My bike should feel smooth as butter here real soon!
Out of curiosity, where did you order the bearings? Mine were replaced about a year ago during an overhaul by LBS, but after 500+ mi they are crunchy again and I'd like to do it myself this time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts