Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the ride season is getting under way, many of you are going to throw your bikes on your car, or in your truck and head out to the trails for some fun. However, there is no where you can go were your gear and your bike are safe from theft, or from being followed back to your residence; if you can buy a $3000 bike, many thieves already know you have more stuff at home, and you have to work so you can't always be home. Good thieves know how to bypass home security alarms!

So your stuff needs protection, however, protection does not mean your stuff 'can not' be taken from you. Though, if your stuff does get taken from you, and you used foresight, you can have your stuff back in a day or two.

All you have to do is GPS chip your belongings, and your stuff becomes traceable down to 2 meters.

Spybike
ChipABike
SkyLamp

If you can't use it over cell or GMS tracker, it's probably not a good idea to purchase it!

I miss my Commencal Meta SX1!

Be safe, be aware.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
552 Posts
I grabbed a couple of the project 529 stickers at Sea Otter, but I'm not sure they'd help any more than the serial number.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont' get the gps are easy to remove if you go this route.
The Best Bike Lock | The Sweethome
Professional bike thieves carry R-134a refrigerant, can snap the The Sweethome lock in seconds. Can be bought without a license at most auto parts stores. I've bought it no questions asked for refilling of my Honda A/C system.

Insurance is cheaper.
People who use Home-owners/renters insurance are generally covering more than just an mtb. If one were to get renters insurance for just their mtb, after two years of payments you have spent close to the cost of a mid-range price fs-mtb.

I have renters insurance and have claimed a stolen Commencal Meta SX1 with it. It only payed the initial retail cost of the mtb and did not cover close to $700 in upgrades that had receipts.

To me, that's giving up and letting the thief have their day. Tracing them to their location, within minutes of the theft, assures mtb riders that another thief will get fingered and watched closely by the authority afterwards. If they are a repeat offender to the courts, jail time will be a consequence.

A popular movement in GPS chipping bikes will decrease bike theft once thieves are aware that at least 25% of riders(or more) are chipping their bikes, and not just to get their belongings back, but to help catch and remove other bike thieves.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good thieves can get past anything but a GPS, huh? :eek:ut:
In the heat of the moment, and trying to figure out how to sell the bike or it's components, small things that are inserted and glued down inside the fork, frame or handlebar is generally overlooked, or not even thought of, especially when kept out of sight. The time it would take for a thief to stumble on the device and remove it would be enough time to have the bike located, unless the thief was thoroughly looking over the bike for such a device within the first 30 minutes of the theft. The likely hood of your bike actually being stolen by a professional bike thief is far less likely than that of a common thief steeling your bike. The likelihood of your chipped bike not coming back to you is as likely as a professional bike thief taking your bike, as the majority of bike theft is 'opportunistic timing'.

If your bike is taken from your home, and the 50/50 chance that your biked is tracked, possession is still 9/10ths of the law and can lead to more people being charged with multiple crimes; such as felony burglary & theft, fencing of stolen property, with a possible charge of premeditation of the crimes.

Just a chip, decreasing property related theft and catching those who engage in property theft. I'd rather not be the one left crying! So I made this PSA and added the names of some of the available devices to get people who don't know in the right direction. Part of the purpose of the forums.

I am crazy, regardless, you just didn't think about the potential that exist in our reality.

·
Flappity flappity flap
2,590 Posts
The likelihood of your chipped bike not coming back to you is as likely as a professional bike thief taking your bike, as the majority of bike theft is 'opportunistic timing'.
And you just said a good lock doesn't matter because of professional bike thieves with refrigerant, but now you're saying a professional bike thief that will ensure your GPS chip is worthless is rare?

Nice sales pitch.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And you just said a good lock doesn't matter because of professional bike thieves with refrigerant, but now you're saying a professional bike thief that will ensure your GPS chip is worthless is rare?

Nice sales pitch.
So what you are saying is you don't understand that a lock can't track your bike. You are also telling me that you don't understand that the chip will alert you when your bike moves in pitch and yaw, and that it will also alert you when the bike moves from its GPS set position by 3 meters and then continue its tracking, as were your lock wont.

And, I'm not a sales person, just a person that had a really nice Meta SX1 stolen and took measures to make sure the bike I have now can be located if taken, or that I am alerted to tampering while it's happening.

You should really think things through before you comment; maybe go read some of the features of some of the devices available too!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,212 Posts
The lions were very hungry that day my friends.

Attachments

·
Flappity flappity flap
2,590 Posts
So what you are saying is you don't understand that a lock can't track your bike. You are also telling me that you don't understand that the chip will alert you when your bike moves in pitch and yaw, and that it will also alert you when the bike moves from its GPS set position by 3 meters and then continue its tracking, as were your lock wont.

And, I'm not a sales person, just a person that had a really nice Meta SX1 stolen and took measures to make sure the bike I have now can be located if taken, or that I am alerted to tampering while it's happening.

You should really think things through before you comment; maybe go read some of the features of some of the devices available too!
I love exclamation points.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts