Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy and I went up to Tahoe Friday night to ride this weekend and we're getting up Saturday morning and staging to start our ride...and I go to put on my front wheel and I'm missing the spring, washer, and nut that go on the non-level side of my front skewer..CRAP.. We drive back to the house from the trail head in hopes it's lying in the driveway...negative. We figure the vibration in the truck bed (I had the wheel off of the bike for the trip) rattled it loose and it fell through the crack in the tailgate on Hwy 80. So be sure to tighten up your skewers before you travel....just in case...

Now I get to see if Hope will send me the spring, washer, and nut or if a local shop will. Otherwise, looks like I'm stuck buying a new set.

D

Oh and Stanford Rock trail in Tahoe City... AWESOME. Instantly in my Top 3 All Time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did the exact same thing last week - somehow the QR skewer nut disappeared between my house and the trailhead an hour away. It wasn't on the wheel or anywhere in my buddies trunk (never actually found it). So after searching for 15 min, we looked around for replacement parts. At first I thought of using the horst-link chain stay bolt on my xce (it fits), but of course that wouldn't have been smart. Then my buddy who still has a seat post mounted reflector on his bike took it off, and that little bolt fit as well. Then we proceeded to take off any washers we could find from bikes, presta valve stems, bike racks, vehicles until we built the diameter big enough to hold against the fork. It held amazingly too - thank goodness because it was for a 3.5 hour ride! I would have been stuck waiting in the car for that long otherwise.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
SportDerek said:
Oh and Stanford Rock trail in Tahoe City... AWESOME. Instantly in my Top 3 All Time.
That's a funny comment. A buddy of mine has at least 3 dozen top 3 all time rides. Those are always his exact words, "That was my top 3 all time ride, man!".

And bummer about the missing parts. I've gotten used to missing stuff trail side, socks, shoes, gloves, helmet, camelback. I've forgotten everything at one point, save for the bike itself.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
PSI said:
i did a 3 hr ride once without socks. not fun. i try to leave all the spare stuff that i can think of in my gear bag and car, but there is always something...
The latest for me was a 5 hour ride with no chamois and over 90 degree weather. Chafed like crazy.

_MK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.