Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Any tips on getting a two year old started?
balance bike - I started him on a strider at 17 months...there are many other brands. No pressure, just went out to have fun. Some days he rode for hours, and other times he forgot about it for weeks...

it's just coincidence that he (currently) shares the same passion I have....I am curious to see what kind of personality my daughter (6 mos) comes out with...

hopefully not hang gliding....

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
That's pretty cool. My 4year old just recently learned how to ride without his training wheels and it's opened up a whole new world to him. Can't wait to ride the trails with him!

·
Slowly but surely
6 Posts
balance bike - I started him on a strider at 17 months...there are many other brands. No pressure, just went out to have fun. Some days he rode for hours, and other times he forgot about it for weeks...

it's just coincidence that he (currently) shares the same passion I have....I am curious to see what kind of personality my daughter (6 mos) comes out with...

hopefully not hang gliding....
My daughter's bday is the first of Nov... I think I know what she's getting...

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know anything about the Specialized Hotwalk?
great bike...solid, pneumatic tires and looks good.

it may be a little heavier than a strider and have a higher standover - the 2 things why I chose a strider over a hotwalk (my son was really young when he started so weight and height were more important in the decision process)

·
Rides like a kid
118 Posts
Just buy it

Plus this is ammo for me. "Mom" doesn't think that our, currently 14 mo, needs a strider for x-mas.
My wife and I have separate finances (she spends more than she makes - constantly) so when I want to get our daughter something, I just buy it and say "I got it with my money." and that ends the conflict right there. I will say, look on Craigslist first before ordering a new one. Deals can be had.

BTW - Very cool that Chum 2.0 is on the pump track and having fun. Hopefully Chum 3.0 does the same, but you never can tell.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
THAT is seriously cool, CHUM :thumbsup:

You've inspired me to upload an older vid from this summer of my son (just over 2 at the point of the video) discovering "the glide". Despite the excitement coming mostly out of my mouth in the video, he absolutely LOVES his stride bike and we have to hide it at times or it turns into a big fight if he sees it and he's not able to go out on it. :thumbsup:

By the end of the summer I would have to jog while he rode that thing all over the place. I did an 9.2km run with him one time (his distance record so far) and he wanted more!! I am no runner, I was faulking tired! .....LOL

He too loves my skateboards. Both he and my daughter (5) can roll my longboards around (standing of course). It's pretty funny. My daughter is certainly not into cycling though. It's not for lack of me encouraging it. It's just not her thing; and that's fine. She loves art (of all kinds), reading and it's incredibly difficult to get her out of the pool even during her lessons. Loooooooves to swim and doing pretty good actually! Fun to watch her learn.

Honestly, I don't care what my kids eventually get into, whether it's b-ball, painting, bikes or whatever - as long as they're passionate about something. I'll encourage it all and do it all with them for sure.

Admittedly though, I think it's awesome that my son seems to be trending towards the same interests as me.......despite us giving TONS of exposure to other activities. We force nothing. We let them discover/chose.

The only unfortunate thing now is, winter is almost upon us. :rolleyes: Not sure what we're going to do. Underground garages maybe...... :skep:

Here's the clip. He had to stop for the road though :nono: He's good with the rules :thumbsup:

Any tips on getting them to keep from pushing their helmets back? :madman:

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Awesome. Any tips on getting a two year old started?
Stride bike for sure. Works awesome.......and that first glide gives you the same feeling as their first steps. No kidding! At least it did for me. It blew me away! He was pretty excited too. :thumbsup:

Awesome, good reason to be proud!
Plus this is ammo for me. "Mom" doesn't think that our, currently 14 mo, needs a strider for x-mas.
Buy one. No question. If they take to it, you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.