Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice! Wish Giant would just stick with the all black for USA. Really curious to see if they put this into production. I really like my Trance 3 but wish it was a little more stiff. This looks awesome and looks like it would be a little burlier.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have to admit that it looks really good but I have a 2013 Reign SX so I am not tempted to switch to a 27.5 (yet) just for 1.5 inch more (which actually is less than 1.5). However if I had to buy a new bike it would definitely be in my list.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I can say I am really interested to see if this bike makes it. Like I mentioned after having the 2014 Trance for about 4 months this would make the difference, well hopefully. I see it as having a little more potential on the down hills / rougher sections than the Trance. The Trance handles good but throw narly stuff at it and you definitely see where it lacks a little. Hopefully something soon comes out about it. Please Giant, no crazy color schemes and designs. Keep it simple and clean.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Regarding wheel sizes. What Giant said when they started producing 27.5 stuff was that "they don't believe 3 wheel sizes are sustainable" - which caused mass panic, and widespread predictions that Giant would no longer produce 29ers. Because there was *no-stinking-way* for a down hill bike to be anything but 26. News flash. I said, at the time, it would be the 26 that went away. I was pooh-poohed and laughed at, but most of the XC riders are still on 29ers, and they're riding them for a reason. You look at the marketing material for the 27.5, and the reality is there. It handles as quickly and is as playful as 26, rolls over stuff almost as well as a 29er. So you don't give up anything to the 26, but you do to the 29er. So, ahem. Good bye 26" wheel.

Now, this bike. I really want to see geometry numbers on this next to the Trance and the new 27.5 Glory. I think there's going to be some interesting discussion to be had at that point.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
That is because they sat and watched the 29er market for years before they decided to get in and they lost out for that, so now they're jumping right into 650B and pushing the absolute worst BS marketing at those who don't know trying to convince them that somehow it's the absolute best of both worlds and directly between a 26" wheel and 29" wheel :skep:
Giant seems to be going away from 26" and in selected models from 29" too; they're putting most of their effort on the 27.5" platform.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Any evolution is welcome but saying that "this or that is dead" simply to promote the new options is what annoys most of the people.

Personally I have a 2013 Reign SX that I really love and honestly I can't even get 50% of its full potential with my current riding skills. So believing that less than 1.5 inch difference will make me a better rider is just stupid when there are so many other things that I can improve before changing bikes. If I had to buy a new bike I would consider a 27.5 version but I am not going to change my current bike simply because someone is going to make me feel bad for riding a 26er.

Anyway the 27.5 Reign looks good but as some peolpe already mentioned I am curious about the geometry details.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice, very curious as to when, what build, maybe even frame option only and.......................colors??? Hopefully more info on this thing soon. Also, starting to see quite a few people selling there 2014 Trances. Wondering why?? Maybe because of this??

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.