Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that a protein shake in the AM will help you lose weight? Is that just because you won't be as hungry when lunch comes around?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any reasonable food in the am (breakfast) will help you manage weight. It starts up your metabolism and reduces your body's tendency to store fat.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
For me if I skip breakfast I develop a calorie deficit. My body reacts by slowing down trying to conserve energy. By the time I get to eat I'm starving and my metoblism doesn't increase because it's still reacting to the previous calorie deficit. I'm not worried about wieght management at 5'10" 150 pounds, I'm worried about feeling like crap. I work from 1pm until 10pm. If I skip breakfast I'll feel like crap on my am ride and I'll feel horrible by the time I get to work. I'm a chef so I can eat when I get to work, but that's not until 1pm. The only thing I buy when I go grocery shopping are eggs, milk, mixed grain hot cereals, bananas, apples, granola bars and yogurt. All things I like to eat in the morning. oh, coffee, can't forget about that. I generally go out to eat on my day off because I can't stand cooking at home. I don't have a dishwasher to wash all my pots, pans and dishes for me and my home kitchen blows compared to my work kitchen.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Short version - Protein can help stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels. This helps maintain a steadier metabolism that tends to burn fat as fuel. This can lead to a decrease in overall appetite and more efiicient use of your body's resources.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The rather long version:

When one wakes in the morning they are in a very catabolic state (muslce burning/fat storage) state. This occurs because we just finished a rather long (8 hour or so) fasting period. Breakfast should be eaten as soon as possible after waking up. The best breakfast food is a combination of whole grains and protiens. This will first, spike the insulin levels in your blood which will reduce catabolism and cortisol levels will be lowered as well. Cortisol is the fat storing substance produced when your body fasts. Its basically a safety mechanism in the body so you don't starve to death. This first spike is from the carbs you just ate. Then the protien is put into the body to help with muscle building and maintence levels. So any muscle that was burned or still "tired" will begin to rebuild. By tired i mean that it was used and the muscle fibers were broken down and must be repaired. Basically what happens everytime you exercise.
The next part of why to eat carbs and protien for breakfast is that it kick starts the metabolism for the day. Your body realizes it just woke up and will be up for a while so when you put food in, it jump starts the metabolism and gets you our of the fasting state. So these two are really connected. Just remember to keep the fats to a minimum during breakfast. Because they are a slow absobing nutrient they will take longer to trigger the bodies reaction. And you will stay in a fasting state longer.

Example of a nearly textbook breakfast:

1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
1 cup nonfat milk
1 scoop whey protien
or
1egg and 4 eggwhites (in lieu of the protien if you aren't into supplementation)

These numbers are of course approximates. This is what i eat because i have a slower metabolism so my maintainence calories for a day are most likely lower than yours. I know some people that eat this breakfast (my roommate, who has a VERY high BMR)

1 cup oats
1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
1 scoop whey

But as long as you follow the nutritional guidelines of whole grains, protien, sans fats you should be good for breakfast. Hell some i know even eat tuna for breakfast.

PS: if you want to talk fat loss nutrition just e-mail or PM me i know some places with a wealth of information. I also have done quite a bit in the way of weight loss myself, so i have some knowledge in the area

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice job, Penn State.

My typical breakfast - 2 whole eggs+1 egg white over 1 piece of whole grain bread along with a banana. Followed by lots of water and a multivitamin.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My breakfast consists of 42g Myoplex whey protein(strawberry flavor) in a blender with 1 frozen banana(peeled b4 frozen) 8-10 oz cranberry juice and 4-5 cubes of ice. I get over 40oz of shake from this and estimated cal. is around 600. I don't feel tired at all during the day. It is fast to prepare before running off to work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Penn State said:
PS: if you want to talk fat loss nutrition just e-mail or PM me i know some places with a wealth of information. I also have done quite a bit in the way of weight loss myself, so i have some knowledge in the area
Penn State, would you mind discussing it here on the board? I'm sure there are several chubbies around (myself included) that wouldn't mind the continued discussion.

I tried the protein shake breakfast and never lost a pound. After quitting, I lost several pounds quickly. I'm considering going back to 1/2 the shake and 1/2 carb-rich breakfast, but I like that I'm finally losing weight and I don't want to stop yet!

Thanks-

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
ChipAllen said:
Nice job, Penn State.

My typical breakfast - 2 whole eggs+1 egg white over 1 piece of whole grain bread along with a banana. Followed by lots of water and a multivitamin.
Thats quite a comprehensive breakfast.

Tell me do you eat that everyday? What about cholesterol issues in eating those eggs each often?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Trevor! said:
Thats quite a comprehensive breakfast.

Tell me do you eat that everyday? What about cholesterol issues in eating those eggs each often?
I won't eat the eggs 7 days a week; it's more like 4 to 5 days a week. The other days, I'll eat a little leftover chicken or whatever for the protein source. I always cook my eggs(and most everything else) in a little bit of olive oil instead of butter or animal fat. I'll also have a bowl of whole grain cereal from time to time but always try to include a fruit somehow. I typically grab the banana since it's so convenient. Lots of water is always on the menu.

My cholesteral is pretty darn low. I can't remember the numbers exactly but I remember looking at the results with my wife and she was floored at how low it was. She eats far less meat than I do and hers was significantly higher - likely due to genetics more than anything. I stay away from trans-fats, hydrogenated oils, refined sugars, milk fats, high fructose corn syrup(that stuff is everywhere, read the labels), bleached flour and white rice. As for fluids, I will really only drink water, nonfat milk, one cup of coffe or tea per day, or on occasion, a tiny bit of %100 fruit juice(it is % 98-100 sugar so don't guzzle this stuff :eek: ) Most of my carbs come from colorful veggies with a lesser amount coming from whole grains. I eat continuously throughout the day to keep the metabolism churning and blood sugars steady <---- that's the real secret.

·
Registered
215 Posts
arturo7 said:
Olive oil is most beneficial uncooked. When exposed to heat the monounsaturaed fat molocules break down.
Agreed. I also use olive oil in uncooked form - i.e. drizzled over veggies, in humus or in a homemade dressing, etc. For cooking, it's a great alternate to corn oils, butter or animal fats.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
stoked said:
My breakfast consists of 42g Myoplex whey protein(strawberry flavor) in a blender with 1 frozen banana(peeled b4 frozen) 8-10 oz cranberry juice and 4-5 cubes of ice. I get over 40oz of shake from this and estimated cal. is around 600. I don't feel tired at all during the day. It is fast to prepare before running off to work.
I also like the SHAKE idea on a morning, unfortunately I have to have my cup of tea and maybe some toast first. SO for me I get a cup of tea and toast and then about an hour later I have a shake w/ 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 plum. 1 tray of ice, skimmed milk, honey and 1-2 scoops whey protein powder and 2 PB&J sandwiches. I have a high motabolism so this shake really keeps me going, don't know how many calories it has along w/ the PB&J's :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.