Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All; I have a question directed at those of you who ride with knee and shin guards. What knee/shin guards have you had the best luck with; which one's offer the best protection for the knee/shins and stay in place during a ride?

I've tried several models of pads, most of them certain things well, but don't work so well for all around use; which pads can you wear on a 2-3 hour ride that don't tear your knees up and stay in place while giving you the protection you need when you take a hard hit? Is there anyone riding with 2007 gear?
thanks,
turtle

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
IMO you have to compromise a bit on knee/shin guards. I say that because there are some impressive models that completely cover your knees and shins and even wrap around a good deal to protect the backs of your calves...and stay perfectly in place even in a bad crash. For me, however, all of these I've seen are too hot to wear in moderate to warm weather. They are almost too good, in a sense, if that's possible. I'd use some like that on a shuttled ride or all downhill venue.

Just about all of us around here use the simple two-strap around the calf models of various brands for long trail rides, and we wear them most all the time. They're light, they ventilate well, and don't chafe your knees or legs. The only real compromise to me is that they will slide somewhat when you land on them in a certain way. However, I've tested all of mine quite a bit over the years in crashes, and the big thing is they always seem to take the hit that would really hurt you before they move. Most of the time they stay right where you wear them in most crashes. Sometimes when you get a "slider" they can move down a bit if you're sliding in the right direction, and the worst I've had in those cases is a raspberry just above the knee. These simple knee/shin guards seem to take that initial impact as good as anything, but you can get skinned up a little in certain crashes after the initial impact. Like I said, these types are light enough and strong enough to wear all the time without overheating or discomfort, and you get used to them to the point that you don't even notice them until you land on them in a good crash. There are more serious coverage models, but I think most people find them just a bit too hot and restrictive for longer actual trail rides. The ones that I currently have are a Fox model, but I've had just as good a performance from Azonic, Fly, 661, and some others I can't even remember. I've been through lots of them over the years as the straps finally just gave out their elasticity and they got funky enough to cause your friends not to ride with you...LOL!

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
I use Fox pads.

In my experience, I put them on by attaching the velcro straps from the bottom first so they don't have a tendency to slide down my legs during the decent.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
You know, I'm a little surprised that none of these 2-strap setups slide down my legs in any kind of terrain...and I don't have 'em cinched down extremely tight or stapled into my skin. It must be my chisled and extremely shaped muscles that keeps them up.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
whattree? said:
The Fox "Launches" are super light and never move.
Another vote for Fox :thumbsup:

I have the older style 911's without the X up straps, not that thats a disadvantage in anyway. As Mudd said, do them up from the bottom first and the won't move. They double as my DH/FR pads, lots of protection :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my calf muscles are so huge:rolleyes: the straps can't tighten; yeah right! I've been riding with the older Fox 911, they're my favorite; the have full coverage and they're light and not bulky compared to the Roach or Race Face; wish I knew where I could still get them.

I'll probably try the Face Face Rally Fr again, they've got awesome coverage. The last set I had chewed up my knee. I wish the Dainese FR's came in XL. Thanks for taking the time to post.
turtle

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
I went thru 661, fox and ended up with race face (roach) Rally FR.
It's definitely a matter of fit and personal preference, but when I tried the Rally FR at the shop I immediately got the impression of extremely comfortable gear.
Now I'm wearing the elbow pads on every ride and when I know I'm going to try something stupid (or more challenging trail) the knee pads as well.

The knee pads offer great coverage all the way to the foot (las year in Mammoth I left a good chunk of flesh on a rock because the shin pads were too short) :eekster:
I'm 6'1" and wear XL size.

When temp is below 70F I completely forget I have them on.
ZT

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Those are definitely good pads and more protective than what I wear, but I never could handle that top strap for any lengthy pedaling sessions. Man, those XLs are some long mofos...LOL! Hey Zen...do you get any tire/seat bag contact? I tried that once, and my "stash" got ignited by friction, and a strange hemp odor permeated the trails.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
TNC said:
Those are definitely good pads and more protective than what I wear, but I never could handle that top strap for any lengthy pedaling sessions. Man, those XLs are some long mofos...LOL! Hey Zen...do you get any tire/seat bag contact? I tried that once, and my "stash" got ignited by friction, and a strange hemp odor permeated the trails.
The top strap doesn't bother me at all, but I admit that it did in some other models I tried like the Fox launch, so it's really subjective. The foam of the Roach is so nice I would wear them all day long. And yes, the XL are loong, but the bottom of the shin is where it really hurts (just skin and bone there...)

Man, you shouldn't keep your stash in the seat bag, that's for the spare tube. :rolleyes:
Stash goes in the camelback, where is readily accessible and you can enhance your riding one sip at the time (don't tell me you put water in there.....:skep: )
:D :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone seen 2007 Roach Pads yet; are they different from 06? Somebody said the Dianese FR pads come in XL; that would be cool; has anyone seen the XL?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Roach Indies

I have a set of Roach/Raceface Indies and have found them to be comfortable, don't move in a crash and offer up plenty of protection. The Fox Northshores are a copy of the Indies and they actually look a little better made but I've never used them. I also have some of the Roach/Raceface hardshell pads for gnarlier downhill riding. They offer incredible protection but I don't find them very comfortable for a long ride. They rub me raw above my knees if pedaled for an hour or more.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SuperKat7 said:
I was going to suggest the Dainese FR pads but you're right about the XL sizing. Sorry.
once upon a time the large Dainese FR pad was a good fit:nono: I think those days are long gone. But I'm heading to the shop next week to see if I can wear a large; Cambria has the 2003 Dainese FR pad for $49.00

I was online last night and actually found a shop that advertised the older Fox 911 pads; I've been wearing those for years-I left them a voice mail message. I was looking at the Lizzard Skins knee and shin guard, they looked pretty cool; has anyone tried them?

I had the same problem as many others with the Roach/Race Face FR Pads; they tore up the top of my knee; the problem is the stitching and material around the seams. I'll try the 07 model if they've made changes, otherwise I'm down for something new. Thanks for all the feedback/ideas on pads; it's great to hear from other people.

Has anyone tried the Fox Raptor knee/shin guards; they look pretty cool but I'm not sure about the one size fits all idea?

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Bomber B2 Knee/shin guards. They arnt attached with any straps, there is a lycra sleve that you slip your leg though. So far they havnt sliped at all. Its also nice becuase the Lycra is super breathable! It has a hard platic kneww cup and a hard foam compound for you shin. I have yet to crash with them on but my confidence is in them. Not bad for 16 bucks including shipping off Cambria (onsale reg. 45 bucks)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got a pair of the RaceFace FR ones. I do all day rides on them. Fit me brilliantly. Perhaps a little warm, but they all are in my expierance, still better than the Fox's I used to have though. Just coming into their 3rd season. Been through the washing machine more times than I remember and still going strong. Can't say enough about them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For long legs it's hard to beat the XL Roach/racefaces, I've got the DH model and they are great. 2nd place goes to Hoots knee/shin combo, which had full wrap around plastic covered shins and calves with skate style knees that were soooo comfey and light (not too cool though, but not bad). The shins would velcro into place with the knees when needed, easily removed when not needed so you can run the knees solo, unfortunately they are gone as of mid 06, (this was there best product IMHO) but some of their gear is still around in shops in BC.

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
I've a few sets, Fox Launch(good for longer/harder downhills, but not great for pedalling), 661 Veggie kneepads(I love them, nice soft and good protection, on most days I put them on first thing in the morning and keep them there all day, never know when you're gonna jab your knees on a shelf or something), oldskul Lizard Skin shinguards(a good combination with the 661 veggies, also 661 veg elbow guards(they're ok, comfortable, haven't used them too much), RF Rallys elbow/forearm(impulse buy, really comfortable, still haven't used them yet), and oh yeah, also a pair of Troy Lee elbow guards(they're craptastic, I gave them away to a friend's kid who just got into mountainboarding(now that's an insane sport). It's all a matter of personal preference, the best thing is to try them out in a store first. I got most of mine online, never got a chance to try first except for the Rallys, been pretty mostly lucky I guess. The thing is you can never have too much protective lying around. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.