Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All; I have a question directed at those of you who ride with knee and shin guards. What knee/shin guards have you had the best luck with; which one's offer the best protection for the knee/shins and stay in place during a ride?

I wear pads at my age because I need to minimize the risks of injury and keep as much skin covered as possible; skin tears easier when ya get old. I've tried several models of pads, most of them do certain things well, but don't work so well for all around use; which pads can you wear on a 2-3 hour ride that don't tear your knees up and stay in place while giving you the protection you need when you take a hard hit? Is there anyone riding with 2007 gear? Are the new Race Face/Roach pads different/better than 06 models? anybody riding with the Storm pad?
thanks,
turtle

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,523 Posts
I use dermal armor most of the time.

In this area, there are usually no perfect solutions. I've used lots of them, some better than others, but I've yet to find "perfect" ones...

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i rode about 4 or so hours in moab with the 661 4x2 armor top n bottom with no issues whatsoever, about the same in the springs a cpl months earlyer. have yet to fall ultra hard in em but i did take a tumble in the springs and troughed the scree pretty good. didnt even know id hit or slid besides the dirt on my gear. confidence is high. 1 thing i did notice was in colorado id loosened up the top 2 straps thinkin id make em more comfy for a long climb. turned out they chafed the backs of my knees so in utah i left em on and all was groovy. funny thing was utah was a longer ride with more pedaling, more climbing, more fatigue yet less pad discomfort.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Pads are a lot like shoes, fit comfort and performance can be a personal matter... but just like shoes some stand out above others for most folks.

That said I really like the RaceFace/Roach Rally pads for long leg armor, They are a bit warm but for full length pads they breathe pretty well. They are pretty comfortable and don't slip down provided you hook the middle strap above the calf. They can shift down a slight bit if you wear them loose. I tend to tighten them up for really aggressive fall prone riding but wear them looser for fast and flowy trail riding.

I never ride w/o pads and though I got used to using full length leg armor, I wanted to try to ride lighter. I began experimenting with riding with some knee pads only and found a lot more comfort and my legs tend to feel less fatigued while riding. The protection seems to be all I need for general trail duty (knock on wood) but I will still go to the long pads for days when I plan on riding much harder.

My knee pads are a basic set of "Roller Blade" brand pads hard shell outside. Great on rocks and such. Very comfortable and they stay put. Great all day pads.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I recently got a set of the Race Face FR pads - like you for self assurance more than raw need (trail riding & nothing too extreme but the DMR V12 pedals could be nasty).

I've found them comfy for a few hours in the saddle, don't usually get to go out riding for more than a few hours so couldn't tell ya how they are for those epics. Although when I ride without them I feel more power & freedom so I guess they must be a bit inhibitive.

Ones that didn't work for alot of pedalling for me were - 661 Veggie guards -knee only (always rubbed behind the knee, they were also hotter than the RF Rallys) and Fox Launch pads (very harsh stitching or something so rubbed badly above knee plus had durability issues).

It's pretty personal like someone said, I was third time lucky to get the pads that are perfect for me (Race Face Rally FR). More protection than I need, very comfy to pedal with & since they go pretty much all the way to the ankle I don't think they can slip anywhere.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
Hi which one's offer the best protection for the knee/shins and stay in place during a ride?
I have several knee armor and knee-shin armor combos and the best one that stays in place in a crash (no. 1 priority) and provide the best protection, in my experience, is the Dainese Knee Guards. But they are not that comfortable for pedaling on long rides. The comfortable ones I've tried are the 661 Veggie & Kyle Straight Knee pads.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Fox Launch

Turtle, I've used a couple of styles and the Fox Launch works great for me. It doesn't chafe and stays positioned (no sliding up or down). I've worn the Fox pads for 5 hours of DH riding and they just flat work. The fastening system works well too; one X style buckle at the knee and one velcro strap around the ankle. Get these :)

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
That said I really like the RaceFace/Roach Rally pads for long leg armor, They are a bit warm but for full length pads they breathe pretty well. They are pretty comfortable and don't slip down provided you hook the middle strap above the calf. They can shift down a slight bit if you wear them loose. I tend to tighten them up for really aggressive fall prone riding but wear them looser for fast and flowy trail riding.

I never ride w/o pads and though I got used to using full length leg armor, I wanted to try to ride lighter. I began experimenting with riding with some knee pads only and found a lot more comfort and my legs tend to feel less fatigued while riding. The protection seems to be all I need for general trail duty (knock on wood) but I will still go to the long pads for days when I plan on riding much harder.

My knee pads are a basic set of "Roller Blade" brand pads hard shell outside. Great on rocks and such. Very comfortable and they stay put. Great all day pads.
What BZ said

I don't ride my RFX without em Race Face Rally Frs, I was amazed when I first rode in em how comfy they were, they keep my legs warm in the cold, and I don't notice them when its hot surprising:eekster:

I ride my Spot without em and I feel naked:eek: I always thought knee pads were fer wussues:eekster: Im now a wuss:D

Oh and they look cool and I feel strong going into battle with them:thumbsup:

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
661 KS wearer here...but i'm just an XC geek.:blush: side padding took some time to get used to...but pads are really comfy and stay put! :thumbsup:

wiped out last week in them, landed with knee on rock, and got away with just a bruise on the knee...i don't think i'd be walking right now if i didn't have those pads on. :D

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Another vote for the Kyle Strait knee pads. I've tried lots, and those are the best. Definitely warm, but I've ridden 6 hour rides (Thrill Me Kill Me looped into Comfortably Numb at Whistler for example) with no chafing at all.

They don't offer any shin protection, but I took a pair of Fox Ventilator (I think) pads and cut the shin part off the knee part, and the two work well together -- but look pretty wierd if you care about that. These pads are really cheap and sturdy.

For lift riding, or rides that only offer danger on the way down but lots of pedalling on the way up, I've had the best luck with the Race Face pads. For pedalling up, you can undo the criss-cross knee straps, and reverse-loop them back onto the velcro so the knee part just flops free. Perfect for gravel road grinds, but no good in technical up moves. The knee pads can catch on the bars!

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
I currently wear Troy Lee combat guards. I've wear these pads on 2-4 hr rides all the time. They are a great set of pads that don't slip on me and are comfortable. The only downside is the open calf design, otherwise the protection is great.

I've used the older style Dainese knee/shin guard in the past that just kept slipping to the side (although they were very comfortable, light and breathable).

I've also used a pair of 661 races. Mediocre and they kept slipping.

But to reiterate and confirm what's already been said, I don't think there are any perfect ones out there and fit and comfort is subjective.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks you guys, the 411 is much appreciated. Like most of you, I've tried my share of pads with similar results. My favorite pads are Mace Techtonic's; they are awesome. The Mace pads have excellent coverage, heavy protection and they're comfy; they're best suited for lift assisted rides; I bought them at Whistler.

Next best (for me) was a set of Daniese FR; problem is I think they only come in large. But the one's I've been wearing for years, are the older Fox 911; they don't make them any more. I liked the 911's because they have full coverage and they're light; but it's easy to push the knee cap down, if you hit it from the top; not good.

I had Troy Lee Combats, they just didn't fit right. I had a set of Roach Freeride's but they chaffed the top of my knee; they have awesome protection. I had a set of those Specialized Kani pads, they're super light and stay in place; they're nice for light rides. I sold them because they didn't cover the back of my legs; I needed protection from the flat pedals.

I've seen the adds for those Danger Boy Pads before; I called a shop that carried them; they told me the pad is pretty light duty. Specialized has something new for 2007, not sure what it is. In addition, Roach and Race Face have made some changes; they're 2007 pads are a little different, at least that's what I heard.

I really want the Race Face FR to work; I hope I can ride with them and not chew up the backs of my legs. I'm going to order a set towards the end of the week; I'll let you know if they're the same or different.

BTW, the Shadow's and Kyle Straight pads look cool, they're just not for me. Thanks again for posting all the stuff about pads.
turtle

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
dHarriet said:
wiped out last week in them, landed with knee on rock, and got away with just a bruise on the knee...i don't think i'd be walking right now if i didn't have those pads on. :D
Good call dH, good thing too, you wouldn't want to wind up like this, believe me....

Everyone, please, better safe than sorry, take it from me.

Rando

Attachments

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
EndoRando said:
Good call dH, good thing too, you wouldn't want to wind up like this, believe me....

Everyone, please, better safe than sorry, take it from me.
:eekster::eek: OUCH!
i'm very greatful i avoided a knee injury like that!

·