Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So want to start hitting the downhill park and wanted to know what protective gear do you guys recommend? I have a full face, gloves, and gform knee pad. I want to be protected, what's comfortable? Recommendation for upper body/spine, maybe better knee and elbow pads? Don't want to break the bank but also don't want to cheap out on protective gear.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
What park? What bike will you ride at the park? You need more protection than the g-forms. Figure out your budget, then search this forum for knee pads.

The fact you ride a motorcycle tells me you take risks. I don't know the percentage of calculated to stupid risks that you take, only you can answer that. That answer will determine whether you suitup like a linebacker to ride a bike.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,216 Posts
Not knee pads, but shin pads that include the knee. Same thing with arms, not elbow pads, but forearm pads that include the elbow. Hard pads are better value and offer better protection IMO. I like using motocross pants when it's cooler, helps keep the pads in place and gives some extra protection against abrasion if you go down. You should use a chest/spine-protector. The knee/elbow pads are for people that want to go on rides and take a little protection, not so much for the DH park.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with Jayem,

Full knee & shin protection, as well as elbow & forearm, hard shell.

https://sixsixone.com/products/comp...qG0JM_Qq9pEZmQNpTlsSwba0c1MySCJsaAncuEALw_wcB

Oh, no drinking beer at lunch and getting back on the trail. That was my recipe for disaster a few times over... little too relaxed. Although the view was very nice as I was skidding down A line on my back, thinking to myself..."If I didn't have this pressure suit on I'd be in a world of hurt, pretty trees"

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Personally, I would really consider a neck brace. I'd go without pads before I'd ride park without a neck brace.
I agree with this. An additional data point is that there is very little downside to a neck brace. I can't feel it, and I can't feel any additional heat. Meanwhile knee/shin guards and chest/back protectors are very hot. I'm not saying all that gear isn't worth it; I'm just saying that I agree with a neck brace, and I'm surprised no one previously mentioned them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.