Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the whole DH/FR scene, but I am definitely going to become obsessed with it. I am planning a trip to Europe and the UK for an extended stay, and I will be going to all the great spots (Leogang, Winterberg, etc etc). I am going to be staying in hostels and the like so I want to pack as light as possible. Protective gear is bulky, so I was wondering, what do you think is the bare minimum gear to have yet still be safe? Full face helmet, goggles, elbow and knee pads (with or without shin guards??), and full finger gloves? Can I forgo the body armor and/or neck brace?

Also, I've been looking at Jenson and have found some stuff. Can you guys look at the stuff and let me know if it is good quality? If some or all of these aren't good, can you recommend some for me? I am a recent college graduate, so I am also trying to get a good deal on stuff and keeping the price down. Thanks!

Knee and shin guards: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PG278B11-Fox+Titan+Mtb+Knee+Guard.aspx

Elbow guards: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PG278C01-Fox+Titan+Sport+Elbow+Guard.aspx

Full face helmet: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HE268G01-Pro-Tec+Auger+Full+Face+Helmet.aspx

Goggles: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/EY284B00-Giro+Score+Mtb+Goggles.aspx

Upper body armor: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PG267A13-Troy+Lee+Designs+Bp7850-Hw+Protect.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
I use the Rock GardN Pearl helmet it is very comfortable. I also use the Race Face knee/shin rally FR pads and they are the best I have used so far. For goggles, I use the Smith Intake series with the sensor lenses.

I tried on a Giro remedy helmet and it is also very comfortable and a reasonable price.

Just because something might fit me well, doesn't mean it will fit you the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
oh yea, If you are thinking about getting a Leatt brace, make sure the helmet and the body armor are compatible with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
For bare minimum I'd say bring along a Full Face helmet, Leatt, soft shell knee pads, soft shell elbow pads, and something to protect your core/shoulders.

The soft pad will provide you with good protection with out bulking up your bag too much. However either way the core armor going to take up lots of space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2clue said:
For bare minimum I'd say bring along a Full Face helmet, Leatt, soft shell knee pads, soft shell elbow pads, and something to protect your core/shoulders.

The soft pad will provide you with good protection with out bulking up your bag too much. However either way the core armor going to take up lots of space.
So you think the core (upper body armor) is necessary for DH/FR? As in, it is definitely something I shouldn't risk doing without?
 

·
Now with More Wood
Joined
·
2,964 Posts
cicatrix said:
So you think the core (upper body armor) is necessary for DH/FR? As in, it is definitely something I shouldn't risk doing without?
You are new to DH, planning to ride in a bunch of new places, on terrain that will push you to push your limits = get all the armor you can manage. More than anything else, it will let you get up and brush yourself off after most crashes, instead of riding the lift back down to get stiches or whatever (best case). You don't have to have a big wipeout to have your riding day (or week!) ended prematurely - a nice cut in the wrong place can do that for you just like that. Sadly, that means your bags will be quite full, but that's way better than wishing you'd brought something more.

Having said that, if you're hellbent on packing light, probably forgo the full pressure suit (I don't recommend it...but if you must...), and just bring fullface (with goggles!), full legs (including shin), and good elbow guards. A few pairs of sturdy gloves are also a good investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iceman2058 said:
You are new to DH, planning to ride in a bunch of new places, on terrain that will push you to push your limits = get all the armor you can manage. More than anything else, it will let you get up and brush yourself off after most crashes, instead of riding the lift back down to get stiches or whatever (best case). You don't have to have a big wipeout to have your riding day (or week!) ended prematurely - a nice cut in the wrong place can do that for you just like that. Sadly, that means your bags will be quite full, but that's way better than wishing you'd brought something more.

Having said that, if you're hellbent on packing light, probably forgo the full pressure suit (I don't recommend it...but if you must...), and just bring fullface (with goggles!), full legs (including shin), and good elbow guards. A few pairs of sturdy gloves are also a good investment.
You sold me on getting everything. You are right, I'd rather have a full bag to carry than be sidelined knowing an injury could have been avoided.
 

·
enjoys skidding
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
IMO go with a soft core suit if you want one. It will pack a lot more easily (take up a lot less space) and still give you a degree of protection.
 

·
enjoys skidding
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
cicatrix said:
Any brands you can recommend?
Well it's personal preference as to how much padding you want. 661 do a few different types, one that I want to try out this year is by Demon Dirt.

It just comes down to preference really. I rarely ride with more than helmet and knee pads. Had plenty of crashes but never anything in my core region..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I ended up with a Rockgardn Pearl, 661 Assault body armor, Fox Launch elbow and knee/shin guards, and Rockgardn goggles.

Now here is another question. The shin/knee guards only have straps in the back, so what do you guys do about avoiding slicing your calves up from the pedals? I bought Dark Cycle Arachnids, and the traction pins are sharp as a mofo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
cicatrix said:
Now here is another question. The shin/knee guards only have straps in the back, so what do you guys do about avoiding slicing your calves up from the pedals? I bought Dark Cycle Arachnids, and the traction pins are sharp as a mofo.
Don't slip off your pedals. Seriously.

The best protection you could probably get to protect your calves is a good pair of 5.10 shoes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
charvey9 said:
Don't slip off your pedals. Seriously.

The best protection you could probably get to protect your calves is a good pair of 5.10 shoes.
Already ordered. That's what I thought. I honestly don't think it would be possible to slip off these pedals. They are like razors. It is kinda intimidating.
 

·
18 years old
Joined
·
632 Posts
cicatrix said:
how do you determine size? The online size chart doesn't say anything about braces
What size shoe do you wear? I tried on both, and ended up going with the Large because I can always tighten it down. I wear a size 9 or 10, have fairly large calves (I wish that was impressive to the ladies...) and am glad I went with the Large.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DeadlyStryker said:
What size shoe do you wear? I tried on both, and ended up going with the Large because I can always tighten it down. I wear a size 9 or 10, have fairly large calves (I wish that was impressive to the ladies...) and am glad I went with the Large.
I guess I will go with the mediums and if they are a bit large, just tie them a bit tighter. Does the plastic chaff the ankle bone at all?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top