Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice guys. I took up mountain biking back in February and I am constantly gettting hurt. It never fails that I usually scrape up my knees, elbows, forearms and shoulders. Most of these are from slow moving falls, but I do like to ride agressively due to my childhood BMX days... turning 40 in august and I am constantly getting scraped up. I mainly ride XC/AM and was wondering if any of the protection out there is comfortable, light weight and cool (I live in the south)? Does most gear bind and pinch like it looks like it would? If anyone could give some Brand names and models, that would be awesome.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
For knees... check out 661 Kyle Strait kneepads. I use them for everything from XC to Whistler as do several of the guys I ride with. Very comfortable.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Good pads don't necessarily pinch or chafe, but what works for others may not necessarily work for you. For example, some people have reported bad chafing problems with Fox Launch pads while others are very happy with them.

Personally, I have had good luck with the Raceface FR arm/leg pads- well made and reasonably well ventillated (I live in Hong Kong, which is around 87F and 80-90% humidity). The arm pads have a full wraparound component, which is certainly not the most breathable design but appears to add a lot to pad stability. The Dainese arm pads look better ventilated so may be worth looking into.

·
May contain nuts
2,422 Posts
AW_ said:
For knees... check out 661 Kyle Strait kneepads. I use them for everything from XC to Whistler as do several of the guys I ride with. Very comfortable.
Combined with 661 Race Elbows. Good balance of protection, weight and not too hot to wear in the sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts