Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired at 39
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed new decals on the down tube of a new frame and would like to have them protected from the elements etc. I have called a couple of local businesses who powder coat and clear coat metal, but they insist that the clear coat would not be effective because the clear material would adhere well to the painted surface but not well to the decals. Perhaps I am not asking for the right process? I have also read that DIY products are available, but almost always look, well, like you DIY - if not downright awful. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Retired at 39
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe don't ride it - another helper; why that kind of tongue of cheek brilliance ranks you right up along side George W trying to pound nails with a ball-peen swivel hammer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well its a mountain bike, they tend to get scratches and dents.

But on a serious note. When I used to ski, years ago, not much snow since I moved to Florida. But anyway, I remember seeing alot if ski shops carry a protective film that you could adhere to the tops of skis to help prevent scratches. I dont remember what it was called. But it was kind of like a heavy clear tape. Not sure if its made anymore but its worth a shot.

oh.. and its a mountainbike. Its supposed to be dirty.

·
Retired at 39
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dhummer - I agree, and all of my bikes do have scratches and get muddy etc - BUT if I can make it easier to clean and look like it did before the muddy ride, all the better. I'll give the ski shops a try.
Oh, and in the photos section here at, I have never seen so many bikes with that fresh-out-of-the-box look. Of course everyone claims that they made them showroom clean "just for the photo". If most were ridden as hard as claimed, there would be a few more scratches, visible wear and tear on the paint and components and more. But, its amazing what soap & water can do these days.

·
Retired at 39
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If only you could have allowed yourself the sense to say that in the first place. or have said nothing at all; and after all that, you have the moral fiber to say "there are you happy now?"
Sheesh. I'll bet you don't act like that when takling with face to face with ppl you don't know.Whap! There are you feelin' sarcastic enough now?
The old adage: "if you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all."

·
Registered
19 Posts
3M also makes something similar that is normally placed on the hood of your car to protect it from stone chips. Just head over to a shop that does this and ask nicely if they have any scraps...they may even give it to you for free.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just can't hold it back, sry fellows.

Who cares about decals, ride hard and put away wet.:thumbsup:

·
Retired at 39
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - 500+ posts for you since Sep 06, and all of them more deserving of anything I could ever put to print in the form of a question - since you dismiss my request for assistance as ruling class might scoff at homeless ... but I ask, what the hell are you doing here so much if all you do is ride? You guys who are quick to dismiss others, or try to make others look like they are whining about little things when they should be riding seem to have the highest posting counts in the forums. Lurking and posting. Why in Christ's name are you into this thread anyhow if "lets go ride on" is more important. You have nothing to offer in this thread,

(Edit by mod, personal attack deleted)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.