Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This topic / question is probably a little different than normal but I'm sure a number of people probably have the same question.

It is winter here now in australia and as such often windy and cold. What do peope do / use to protect their skin from wind burn and drying out whilst cycling and do you use anything after the ride.

I have very sensitive skin and significantly reduce my cycling time during winter because of how my skin reacts to the wind and cold.

Any suggestions / advice would be great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I rode throughout a Swedish winter and eventually sorted out how to keep healthy!

I like Nutregena face cream, it seems to moisterise and be gentle.

Also an Icebreaker balaclava keeps the face warm.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
It was well below -20 degree C in Sweden. I have never felt cold like it. Before I got my balaclava my head hurt real bad, a bit like when you eat ice cream or drink cold drinks too fast!

I never had really warm hands though even with thin wool gloves inside good ski gloves.

John

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vaseline

Don't use it on your face, but it will definitely seal in moisture on your arms, legs and hands. For your face, find a heavy cream and lather it on. Make sure it's non-comedogenic (sp?), that means it won't clog your pores. The last thing you want is to break out because you moisturized your face.

Try mittens or lobster claws to keep your hands warmer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx to everyone that has responded. A couple of good ideas I will use :)

I should have said my winter in Australia is a minimum of about 10 degrees C :) at about 6am in the morning so I can't compare to a winters ride in Sweden.

JWB I'm in awe, that is dedication.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
If dry skin is the problem, then all sorts of moisturising lotions should help. If you are unusually sensitive, a doctor might be able to suggest something.

10 degrees C might see me with a bandanna under the helmet to keep my head warm. A balaclava would just be soaked with sweat. Usually my fingers are the first thing that gets cold.

In the Scandinavian winter, many trails just get easier because the snow smooths over the rocks and roots (packed by people walking their dogs). My main problem has been snow, under some conditions, packing into the cassette and rear deraileur.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
If your asking just how to cover any exposed skin in cooler temps...

Arm and legwarmers..prolly being some of the most useful gear ever invented. Then a stretchy neck gaiter pulled up like an open topped balaclava so that just the top of your head is exposed for ventilation. All exposed skin is now covered. Get hot on a climb?..just roll down the armwarmers and/or roll up the legwarmers. Or if not needed for awhile(like when it warms up), just slide'm off and stuff into your jersey pockets(another great invention:)). Much less bulk to deal with like another upper and lower layer would be.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Neck warmer......again made by Icebreaker this is like a scarf but neater and can be pulled up over the face and ears.

As Pertime says once the snow gets packed down the trails are great fun. I was new to the country and just had to explore. Where people walk you have a 400mm (1 1/2 foot) wide of compacted snow that is hard, but go off to the side and you just sink into soft snow. It was quite hard to stay on a narrow path. The snow is also very grippy.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.