Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed some wear and tear on the inside of the rear triangle/seat stay on the HD, see attached. There's not a huge amount of clearance there for chain movement in rough terrain at speed, where it can slap around a bit.

It's a tricky little area of the frame to protect, not covered by the neoprene chainstay protectors (including using two of them). Could tape it I guess, but what do you other guys do?

I was thinking something like these adhesive carbon leather patches might be the go but am concerned about negative effects of the glue in the long term.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/au/lizard-skins-carbon-leather-patches/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I bought a roll of 3M protective film online in a 3" wide strip that you can cut to any shape, and it's pretty stretchy to conform to all the "sexy bits".

Fishboy has a pre cut kit that's very popular but not sure if he's done an HD, or whether or not it covers that area.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I put some protection tape on it when I first got the bike...but it just keeps eating through, so now I don't have anything there and live with the dings. Then again my bike is a few years old so I'm over the new car smell.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
monkies said:
I put some protection tape on it when I first got the bike...but it just keeps eating through, so now I don't have anything there and live with the dings. Then again my bike is a few years old so I'm over the new car smell.
I guess that's the thing, whatever is used to protect the frame there needs to be pretty tough if it's going to last. An adhesive backed thin shaped to fit plastic plate from Ibis could be a handy accessory. Not much room there though when the chain is on the smallest cog.

My frame isn't pristine by any means, not concerned about cosmetic appearance, but damage over the long term.

Or is the frame burly enough in that area that it doesn't matter?

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
doismellbacon said:
I bought a roll of 3M protective film online in a 3" wide strip that you can cut to any shape, and it's pretty stretchy to conform to all the "sexy bits".

Fishboy has a pre cut kit that's very popular but not sure if he's done an HD, or whether or not it covers that area.
^^^This is what I did. Tape on my Mojo has been fine for almost 2 years.
The HD also has the tape there and is doing fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Google "3M Scotch 2228 Mastic tape". It's rubber electric tape that's stretchable. It's a thicker than regular electric tape but not too thick. If you want to thin it out you can stretch it. You can find a 10ft roll for $12 at Lowes or Home Depot (not sure of outside US). I have it under my bottom bracket, chainstays, and inside the rear triangle where the chain hits. It's moldable and easily removable. Got the tip from Bike Company since they use it on B. Lopes's bikes and other Mojo's they build up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
bajaguy said:
Google "3M Scotch 2228 Mastic tape". It's rubber electric tape that's stretchable. It's a thicker than regular electric tape but not too thick. If you want to thin it out you can stretch it. You can find a 10ft roll for $12 at Lowes or Home Depot (not sure of outside US). I have it under my bottom bracket, chainstays, and inside the rear triangle where the chain hits. It's moldable and easily removable. Got the tip from Bike Company since they use it on B. Lopes's bikes and other Mojo's they build up.
+1 on Mastic tape

·
Registered
217 Posts
I looked at the mastic tape-- but it didnt seem like it was very sticky.. Does it bind well?

This looks like a super clean way of going.. Inner tube with some glue-- hmmmm.. Any thoughts on if the glue messes with the carbon?
Lelandjt said:

Inner tube and super glue. Quiets it down as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
slideways666 said:
I looked at the mastic tape-- but it didnt seem like it was very sticky.. Does it bind well?

This looks like a super clean way of going.. Inner tube with some glue-- hmmmm.. Any thoughts on if the glue messes with the carbon?
Once the mastic tape is on there it will not come off unless you peel it off. It binds great.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thought I would post an update - have had the same piece of 2228 mastic on the side of the rear drive side stay for three months now and while it's clearly taken a beating it's still in great condition and is doing the job of protecting the stay no worries!

Full blog post at:
http://digitalhippie.net/2011/04/19/mastic-fantastic/

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts