Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever considered or used those spray on liners (or something similar) that are made for truck beds to protect a frame? I have a Carbon frame and inside the yolk in front of the rear tire the mud/rocks spraying up have chipped away the paint. It has not damaged or exposed the carbon at all but unless it is protected it will eventually. I thought about taking the wheel off and after covering up the rest of the frame and taping around the blemish area I could spray it with that stuff, make it look clean almost like it belongs and then after it dries covering it with a clear plastic framke protector vinyl sticker or someting. I want to use the spray as they are water proof and that way if I chew through the vinyl I know that it will have something else there that is tough to take some rock spray before I replace the vinyl again. Thought?

G

·
You can buy that stuff at Menards and we have a guy who covered his whole jeep with it and it seems doable on a bike. It will add weight but if you only did it on the side that would take abuse it would be that much. The bigger issue is voiding the warrantee (because you're painting the frame) for what it's worth.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
I would just skip the whole bed liner thing and go straight to the vinyl sticker or tape.

I have over complicated too many projects in my life, and I think this is a case of that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just bought a can of plasti dip. It won't be as tough as bed liner, but it's removable and comes in clear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the pics in the Tallboy are exactly what I have but in the centre instead of the corners. Im not the original owner so warranty void doesn't bother me. It just drives me crazy when I look at it. The spray over would make me feel like it is "fixed" ya know becaused it would look uniform again. Whats Plasti dip all about? The bed liner seems like it would not add much to the frame in terms of material either, and it would only go on about a 1"x2" spot.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
I agree go vinyl stickers, 3m tape, etc because you'll need to be replacing it occasionally (in that location).

If you spray on the liner, you walk a fine line between either putting it on thick enough that it won't wear through, in which case your tires will drag more frequently (especially when muddy or when small pebbles get stuck between the knobs); Or if you do it thinner to reduce the frequency of dragging, it will wear through faster when those inevitable drags do occur (again, wedged pebbles or mud).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree go vinyl stickers, 3m tape, etc because you'll need to be replacing it occasionally (in that location).

If you spray on the liner, you walk a fine line between either putting it on thick enough that it won't wear through, in which case your tires will drag more frequently (especially when muddy or when small pebbles get stuck between the knobs); Or if you do it thinner to reduce the frequency of dragging, it will wear through faster when those inevitable drags do occur (again, wedged pebbles or mud).
That is a good point, just knowing that there is a blemish drives me insane though. My full thought was to tape off a rectangle, perfectly centered around the blemish, spray a thin layer of the bed liner spray over it (just enough to cover it) and then put clear vinyl over that when its dries. That way I can keep replacing the vinyl when needed and when i look at it there will not be this awkward small black smear in my shiney red paint, instead there will be a clean crisp black rectangle that would actually look like it belongs. Im clearly a bit obsessed with the idea but putting my insanty aside... is this an ok idea?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
That is a good point, just knowing that there is a blemish drives me insane though. My full thought was to tape off a rectangle, perfectly centered around the blemish, spray a thin layer of the bed liner spray over it (just enough to cover it) and then put clear vinyl over that when its dries. That way I can keep replacing the vinyl when needed and when i look at it there will not be this awkward small black smear in my shiney red paint, instead there will be a clean crisp black rectangle that would actually look like it belongs. Im clearly a bit obsessed with the idea but putting my insanty aside... is this an ok idea?
How about red tape or black tape? Then you still have a uniform rectangle and no visible blemish.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Protect your downtube with a panel of 'high intensity reflective vinyl'[ebay]. Comes in many colors, the black is awesome and it's what I use for protecting my downtube. The '3M Helicopter tape'[most hardware stores] and panels have an adhesive that sticks well in cold and hot, does not self delaminte or yellow, but comes off easy once you can get you fingernail under it and a little pulling. 'ISC Racers tape'[can buy off ISC or Polaris] comes in a variety of thickness, colors and purposes, but is a bit more costly than the other two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts