1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Good idea. Maybe an easier solution would be a small strip of clear bra tape or a light coating of plastidip. I think the clear bra would hold up better, has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I guess I need to say it again:

"I like my levers loose enough to move in an accident and also to be able to adjust them for the trail when so-desired"

I adjust my brake levers a lot. Probably once or twice on a long ride:

* after crashing

* for an XC ride, I angle them more.

* for a DH/AM steep techy ride, I make them flatter.

The rotation kills the finish on the carbon bars, it wears through the paint, then it starts to wear at the epoxy/carbon layer.

That's not good for carbon bars. Those are Chromag BZA quality 35mm carbon bars (let the worship begin). Carbon bar damage is disconcerting. It is also bad for your wallet.

This week, I had my DIY aluminum bushings out for two very messy muddy rain rides that were over 2 hours each. No wear to the aluminum.

It has advantages:

* They hold without carbon paste.

* They move just like they were held looser on steel/carbon bars.

The more you say it the better you will feel:

"I like my levers loose enough to move in an accident and also to be able to adjust them for the trail when so-desired"

If you saw the whole bike, I think you would see that it actually looks pretty good too :)

Now you are going to have a great day.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Prob not going to find much about what other people use since leaving the levers loose enough to move really isn't a thing people do. If you really are set on that then metal bars are probably best.

If your set on carbon bars then maybe that clear frame protective tape would work and/or file/sand down the edge on the sides of the lever clamps so they don't bite as much.

Really the correct solution is keep them tight and just keep a hex key in an easily accessible location. Hell you could even replace the hex bolt with a thumb screw, something with a wing or knurled edge.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really the correct solution is keep them tight and just keep a hex key in an easily accessible location.
The correct solution is what works for you. But seriously, what on earth? Carry tools? Adjust screw tightness?

Now I just twist the levers to the desired angle. That is what I did with my aluminium bars and that is now what I do with my carbon bars.

"I like my levers loose enough to move in an accident and also to be able to adjust them on-the-fly-conveniently for the trail type when so-desired"

"Convenient" is the keyword here.

The more you say it the better you will feel :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just not a concern for me. I might as well wrap my whole bike if I want to avoid wear and scratches.
Gouges on carbon bars not a concern? Where do you live? Kansas?

Prob not going to find much about what other people use since leaving the levers loose enough to move really isn't a thing people do. If you really are set on that then metal bars are probably best.

If your set on carbon bars then maybe that clear frame protective tape would work and/or file/sand down the edge on the sides of the lever clamps so they don't bite as much.

Really the correct solution is keep them tight and just keep a hex key in an easily accessible location. Hell you could even replace the hex bolt with a thumb screw, something with a wing or knurled edge.
Running your brake clamps loose saves your levers in case of a crash which then saves you from walking your bike back home when your 40km back into the high country. Not silly at all and a proper concern. Everyone I know keeps their clamps loose for said reason.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just not a concern for me. I might as well wrap my whole bike if I want to avoid wear and scratches.

Not a concern for me because I don't move my levers every ride. They stay where I put them, thus I don't get gouges in my bars-carbon or otherwise. My levers are torqued down enough so they don't move while I'm riding but most likely will if I crash.
Well that makes sense and that's actually how I have mine set up as well but when I do crash I don't want to replace or worry about my carbon bar thus the concern to add some protection in that area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.