Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first 29er and I'm running Nanoraptors....on my first ride I was surprised by how much dirt/pebbles were kicked up by the front tire and onto the bottom of the downtube. Maybe it's the tread pattern of the Nano's, maybe it's the geometry of the frame - maybe both! Anyway, it sounded like a hailstorm on the bottom of my frame and I'd hate to chip & pit the paint on what was a pricey purchase.

I've thought about a front fender, but I don't like the look. Now I'm thinking about a long piece of that clear sticker they put on the front of car hoods. Anyone try this? Anyone have this same problem? Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bonk Paint Protection Kit

I use it on my mountain and cross bikes. The do-it-youself kit includes enough to cover the downtube, top tube and seat tube on most bikes as well as leaving enough bits and pieces to protect cable rub areas. It goes on sort of like window tinting. It is totally clear and really tough. It will also spruce up lightly scrathed, hazy or dull paint. Gives it that always wet or fresh waxed look. Good stuff. Bikeman has it, Bonk Paint Protection Do-It-Yourself Kit, for $27.95.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Helicopter Tape

A roll costs $60, but will last a lifetime, or at least pretty close.

It's tough, since it was designed to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotors.

It might not be quite as good as the other two recommendations, but it's much, much easier to put on.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
3M clear paint protection "tape".
I get mine from a guy who does praint protection for cars.
He has a computer cut design that turns it into individual stickers for me including 2 stickers that make the cut outs for around the bottle cage bolts and all.

Very Pro.

·
rider
808 Posts
kosmo said:
A roll costs $60, but will last a lifetime, or at least pretty close.
It's tough, since it was designed to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotors.
It might not be quite as good as the other two recommendations, but it's much, much easier to put on.
That works > http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=173&bc=F

I just bought this and cut it down > http://www.autobarn.net/trit9020series.html

I use it for cable rub, chainstay, downtube, whatever you feel needs protecting!

·
Insanity later
346 Posts
Another vote for the motorcycle tape. It's cheap, and strong. $15 worth is usually enough for a few bikes. I also use it for fork lowers and chainstays. Adds a little weight maybe but it's worth it for me.

I tried the Helicopter tape based on someone's recommendations here. I found it pretty crappy. No doubt super strong, but it simply didn't stick at all, and was not flexible to go around the tubes. Maybe I got a lemon batch.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.