Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride rough northeast trails with looks of mud, roots, loose rock, stream crossings, logs, stone walls, et al.

I am looking into putting a 2.5 Kenda Blue Grove up front with a 2.1 Nevigal rear. Is this overkill? Do you think it would fit in a Marzocchi MXR 100mm fork? I am hoping to hear from people who have tried something like this on their own rigs. How does it effect the feel of the bike. I would assume that much volume in the front tire would be a noticeble change from the 2.3 Conti Vertical Pro I ride up front now.

A recent MB Action article seemed to praise how a 2.6 Kenda Kinetic up front behaved. with a 2.1 rear tire.

·
Chilling out
6,033 Posts
The BG 2.5 could be a way-tight fit in that fork, I used to run a MotoRaptor 2.4 and it did not have a lot of elbow room, and the Kenda is wider than the WTB tire.

It will be a LOT larger than the Conti, will change things quite a bit.

I've found big-meat tires helpful in many conditions, but I'd guess that if you're riding wet areas then you need to be sure to keep some good mud 'n crap clearance on there and you won't have much with that tire in that fork.

Just my 2c.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jbf said:
I ride rough northeast trails with looks of mud, roots, loose rock, stream crossings, logs, stone walls, et al.

I am looking into putting a 2.5 Kenda Blue Grove up front with a 2.1 Nevigal rear. Is this overkill? Do you think it would fit in a Marzocchi MXR 100mm fork? I am hoping to hear from people who have tried something like this on their own rigs. How does it effect the feel of the bike. I would assume that much volume in the front tire would be a noticeble change from the 2.3 Conti Vertical Pro I ride up front now.

A recent MB Action article seemed to praise how a 2.6 Kenda Kinetic up front behaved. with a 2.1 rear tire.
I would suggest the 2.35 Blue Groove with the Nevegal or Blue Groove 2.10 on the rear. Better fork clearance, most of the air volume and less weight. You will love the Kendas for your riding. Big difference - front and rear - from your Contis.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I agree with these two. I used Vertical Pros for a couple of years and they were fine. However, I like the Kendas better. My experience is that they grip better, are relatively lightweight, and have more cushion (mostly because they are bigger). I use the 2.5 BG up front with the 2.1 Nev in the rear. The only bad thing I noticed is that they aren't as durable as the Vertical Pros.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.