Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just received a Marzocchi AM2 + a Camelbak M.U.L.E. I ordered from Jenson in great shape. This would be nothing extraordinary with the possible exception that I only ordered it yesterday morning. Thank you Jenson for getting this order to Canada in less than 24 hrs via UPS Int'l Express.

Additionally, on previous orders from Jenson I was charged brokerage fees and duty - in the end feeling like I had been buggered by Chewbaca! No longer, I was only assessed GST and PST, the two sales taxes here in Ontario.

If you are residing in Canada please note it is far easier/more affordable to buy parts from the US now than it has been in the past.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i just shipped a fork from jenson to canada, the shipping charges were high relativee to pricepoint (my usual place)....but the fork arrived in 48 hrs, and there were no customs charges on top...

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not so sure...

pahearn said:
JensonUSA ships from Canada, that's why -- look at your receipt.

-pete
Ontario, CA 01761

I believe, is Ontario, California...:skep: :skep: :skep:

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Yup great service overnight from Jenson's.

UPS cleaned up their scam on brokerage fees.

I believe I saw a thread about a class action lawsuit, was initated about 2 months ago.

I bet they (UPS) come up with another scam soon?

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sru said:
Biggie,

Are the brokerage fees etc. etc. in your overall shipping costs??

I've always avoided Jenson because of there huge shipping charges.
Yes, at the door, I only paid GST and PST. Brokerage fees were included in shipping - it actually says this when it lists the shipping option to Canada, after you go to "Checkout".

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
With express shipping from US to Canada, the brokerage fees are often billed later by a separate company. This is done to expedite an "express" item, so it does not get held up at the border.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what JensonUSa.Com says...

"UPS International Express includes Brokerage Fees, however you will be responsible for import duties."

Before, when I ordered, it wasn't COD, at a later date a seperate company would ding you for the brokerage, duty and taxes. I think you pay a greatly reduced amount at the door now - similar to USPS.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Canada post tells me.......

That there are no duties on bike parts.

As I have picked up parts from my local post office, the conter rep. has told me bike parts shouldn't have duties applied to them.

I have stupidly paid duties in the past, and will keep an eye for them in the future.

Good to hear of your great experience with Jenson, however, the brokerage fee thing still bugs me. I guess that is the price you pay for quick delivery.

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
brokerage and duty two separate items

sru said:
That there are no duties on bike parts.

As I have picked up parts from my local post office, the conter rep. has told me bike parts shouldn't have duties applied to them.

I have stupidly paid duties in the past, and will keep an eye for them in the future.

Good to hear of your great experience with Jenson, however, the brokerage fee thing still bugs me. I guess that is the price you pay for quick delivery.
What has always bugged me about UPS is they charged a brokerage fee
consistent with the additional handling requried if duty had to be collected.
Thus you were always paying exorbitant brokerage fees whether or not duty applied.

Canada Post charges a flate rate brokerage of $5.00 CAD regardless of duty or not.

My preferred method from the States is USPS International Express.
It has the same tracking methods as used by the other guys.

If UPS has really cleaned up there act maybe I'll reconsider.

michael

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was NOT charged duty, just tax, under the duty column were zeroes for the bike parts and the Camelbak....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.