Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like certain new areas of the forest could be closed to riders if these measures are adopted so send some feedback to the person listed below at the Forest Service and tell them this is totally unneccessary. Bad precedent!

Dangerous New Precedent Could Close

Access to Multiple National Forest

Recreational Areas

Stop the Closures…Act NOW!

-- Instructions Below --

Deadline for public comment ends on

January 12, 2007

The Cleveland National Forest in San Diego, California is about to impose
access closures to ALL forms of recreational use at four National Forest
areas: Corte Madera Mountain, El Cajon Mountain, Rock Mountain, and Eagle
Peak. Very alarming is that this information is not available to the public
via the Forest Service website, the Federal Register, or SOPA (Schedule Of
Proposed Actions) as required within the National Environmental Protection
Act of 1969.

These closures will ban ALL human activity within a ½ mile radius of any
current or future golden eagle, prairie falcon, or "other cliff-nesting
species" nests, even though these "other" species types are not explicitly
identified in the proposed closures. However, given that the closures are
in part being based on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1916, of the over
800 birds listed, many are quite common such as the swallow, hummingbird,
and raven. The results could be catastrophic by not only closing local
areas, but establishing legal precedent for widespread closures across all
U.S. National Forest! These closures affect climbers, hikers, backpackers,
mountain-bikers, horseback riders, and off-road enthusiasts alike, setting
legal precedent to close off multiple recreational areas within any National
Forest!!!

Join this important letter writing campaign (instructions at the bottom) and
tell the Cleveland National Forest that you oppose all closures of this
type! If no comments are received during the public comment period, the
Forest Service will assume that we support their proposals and they will
close our recreational areas.

Tell the Cleveland National Forest that you oppose these closures because:

1. These closures are inconsistent with the USFS multiple use mandate,
"as set forth in law…to meet the diverse needs of people," and as such do
not adequately take into consideration the unique value of climbing, hiking,
backpacking, mountain-biking, horseback riding, and off-roading on forest
lands.
2. The Forest Service is misinterpreting its legal authority to use the
Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA), together with the Golden Eagle Protection
Act, to close large tracks of our public lands for passive uses, be it
hiking, riding, picnicking, or rock climbing. This is a radically extreme
method to limit recreational use on our public lands given that the MBTA was
initially entered into by congress in 1916 to prevent the
over-commercialization of "migratory" birds.
3. In particular, the Corte Madera proposed closure is being based on
the "historical" presence of eagles since golden eagles have not nested
there for over 15 years. As such, this measure is extreme and onerous and
based on unscientific reasoning.
4. The proposed closure limit distances are arbitrary because they are
not based on exact nest locations, not accurately depicted from presumed
nests on the USFS closure proposal maps, or based on sound scientific
evidence.
5. The Golden Eagle and Prairie Falcon are not threatened or endangered
species and therefore do not need drastic protection measures like these
closures to breed successfully.
6. Climbers, Hikers, and other National Forest users have co-existed
with wildlife peacefully for decades; therefore, among other factors,
changing climate conditions and decline of natural prey populations are more
likely to blame for any suspected loss in bird numbers.
7. These closures are inconsistent with bird closure precedent already
established nation-wide.

Simply cut-&-paste the above reasons to TWO separate letters (added comments
definitely help)

Title each of your letters separately (it is VERY IMPORTANT that the titles
are accurate)

First letter -- Comments to proposed seasonal closures at Corte Madera
Mountain & El Cajon Mountain

Second letter -- Comments to proposed seasonal closures at Rock Mountain &
Eagle Peak

Send directly to the Cleveland National Forest at:

[email protected]

Kirsten Winter

Cleveland National Forest

10845 Rancho Bernardo Rd #200

San Diego, Ca 92127

G

·
rediculous.

a bike rider on a trail does nothing to bird or it's nesting habits. crazy fockers in the government. tree hugging liberals that get paid by my taxes, and all they want to do is take away my land access rights.

the real problem: every tom dick and susan moving to socal by the thousands and buying all the tract homes like they are candy. lost habitat, pollution, traffic, and all these people's disrespectful progeny are the real issue.

wild.

i gotta get out of this state!

G

·
cut and paste rant

If you care enough to comment to the Forest Service on this issue you need to come up with something on your own. If they receive a bunch of cut and paste comments -- they are only counted as one comment -- That is what happened during review of comments for the Forest Plan that was revised in 2005.You are entitled to your opinions, and if you have one I'm sure they would be happy to hear from you.

I believe these limited seasonal closures of historic nesting areas for golden eagles are justified. These birds are extremely sensitive to human presence and have been documented leaving nests with unprotected eggs and fledgings due to people approaching within 1/2 mile away. With the nests unguarded they are extremely vulnerable to predation from hawks and crows. If they can't reproduce safely, they aren't going to be around much longer.

These limited clousure proposals were developed by the Forest Service in conjunction with a research biologist studying the birds as well as a respected representative of the local climbing community. I was involved in this process.

Balancing protection of sensitive natural resources with public use is a difficult task. The value and aesthetics of our natural resources are main attractions that bring people into the woods in the first place. We can't afford to be ignorant of the impacts we have in our natural playground, if we are we'll just love them to death. The national forests are one of the very last refuges for wild things in So. Cal. -- among the rampant tract homes and strip malls. Don't be too quick to jump to an adversarial perspective when they need protection.

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
mechmann_mtb said:
rediculous.

a bike rider on a trail does nothing to bird or it's nesting habits. crazy fockers in the government. tree hugging liberals that get paid by my taxes, and all they want to do is take away my land access rights.

the real problem: every tom dick and susan moving to socal by the thousands and buying all the tract homes like they are candy. lost habitat, pollution, traffic, and all these people's disrespectful progeny are the real issue.

wild.

i gotta get out of this state!
HAHAHAHA...Couldn't have said it better myself. Some great trails and friends here in socal but I hear ya'. Same reason we are trying to plan our exit - don't know exactly when, but it will be soon.

D

G

·
pervryder...

any species that abandons it's young because another animal is within .5 mile would have been eliminated through natural selection immediately! you cannot convince me that a rider on a bike, on a trail, is going to make a hill of beans to a bird nested high up on a cliffside. the "people withing a 1/2 mile" was probably some jackass liberal riding a 4 wheel-drive quad and tearing through the woods like a rabid grizzly bear on steroids (btw... my tax dollars pays for his toys and his time!!!!)

real problem: habitat loss!!!!!

some liberal FOCKER is preaching to me that i shouldn't ride my bike in the woods, all the while popping out kids and boosting the population. OK... so one prick with 5 or 6 disrespectful kids isn't so bad, right? WRONG, there are millions of them! even better? the whole time these same FOCKERS are making a killing on investments in LAND DEVELOPMENT. if you think you or i matter, take a look at what happened with places like Flight Line. you don't matter unless you have enough cash to buy a thousand acres and shoot every developer that comes near it.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thanks for the links. I'd still like to know the original source of the info in your first post. It reads like an "action alert" from some group.

You are right about putting it in your own words. Cut'n paste doesn't cut it when it comes to public comment. So many groups of all persuasions have perfected "astroturf" as fake grass roots comments are sometimes called.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
Dirty D said:
HAHAHAHA...Couldn't have said it better myself. Some great trails and friends here in socal but I hear ya'. Same reason we are trying to plan our exit - don't know exactly when, but it will be soon.

D
I scratch my head when they come up with this stuff. What is important? Birds or peoples mental health?

I have been slowly moving to Arizona, spliting my time between Laguna Beach and Prescott. If it was not for my love of Ocean I would have left long ago.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I want to know more about this, but in my opinion, this isn't about wacky Californians or liberals. The Forest Service is a federal agency, and part of their job is to protect all the resources on the lands they manage, not just maximize the recreational or utility values. I happen to think it's cool if I get to see an eagle or some other wildlife when I'm out on the trails Otherwise, I might as well ride my road bike or be on a track.

I took a look at the maps on the forest service website, and these closures do not close any trails in the three areas I saw mapped, and they are seasonal. I've heard of this being done in other places, so the original post is in error when it says this is unprecedented

I keep asking for the source of the original info, and I'm still waiting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.