Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would any of you that have been lucky enough to ride both bikes care to offer opinions on the different ride characteristics, similarities etc... Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you search the forum you'll find a few posts comparing the two. It depends on your riding style, preferences, etc. and you really need to test ride before dropping this kind of money on any bike. That said, I test rode both last month but not on trails where one would actually ride them (street test rides seem almost pointless) but went with a Prophet 600 because:

- Rush had a more "racer" oriented rider position (although this could be modified with stem swaps) and is certainly aimed more towards the XC side of riding. I felt more comfortable with the higher-BB on the Prophet so I don't bash my pedals (hey, I'm a newbie to the moutain bike side of things) but maybe that wouldn't be much of an issue for more experienced riders. That said, the Prophet has taken some getting used to after riding low-BB road bikes. It's becoming more comfortable with each ride...

- In the future I want the option of possibly doing some freeride dirt jumps and moderate drops. I felt more comfortable with the slightly beefier frame on the prophet long-term as my skills grow.

- I don't care about riding fast uphill (not racing or riding with other fast riders), and won't be riding on the road at all with this bike (I've got other bikes for that). If the Prophet takes more effort to go up the mountain I just get a slightly better workout, which based on a how little time I actually get to ride (with a wife+2 kids at home) is probably a plus!

- The prophet is awesome blasting downhill on rough trails and very stable (I haven't even tried the FR setting yet). I don't know whether it would be the same on the Rush or not, but probably pretty close since there's really not THAT much different between the travel.

I think either bike makes a good all-around mountain bike. If you're considering racing, just want something faster, want the least amount of weight for the money and don't plan on doing anything like "freeride" type stuff you should probably look towards the Rush. In an ideal world I could test ride each on real trails for a few weeks, but I had to make a choice (this is my first real mountain bike and first FS bike) and went with the Prophet based on my needs since it seemed like a better choice for me. Perhaps once I gain more experience my opinion will change, but for now I'm quite happy with the Prophet!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Both bikes are priced almost the same from model to model , just ask yourself what kind of riding you do more , if you race or ride mostly XC or fireroad , buy the Rush.

On the other hands , if you ride involve jump , rock garden , log ride , teeter or ramps , Prophet.

If you still not sure , try this.. if you have an eggbeater now ,buy a Rush .. but if you have a set of platform pedals now , then buy a Prophet.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,237 Posts
I felt guilty about buying the Prophet...The wife thought it was fine to drop $1300 so i did, but at the time I felt so undermatched to the bike. Skill-wise and conditioning wise..I have made a tiny bit of progress in each category but now I am Glad to have a bike I can get real aggresive on and bomb with, having little concern....It's more fun to bomb downhill where my only concern is my own ineptitude, which no amount of money can really counter balance!

CDT

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
did i buy the wrong bike? i dont jump, do teeters, or anything crazy. i am an older rider at 35 and can appreciate that extra suspension especially when things get hairy she eats everything up in its path, and is very comfortable, i feel less beat up after a ride. but i am curious what benefits i would have gained by going with a rush, maybe a little faster on the uphill?

·
Registered
29 Posts
david8613 said:
did i buy the wrong bike? i dont jump, do teeters, or anything crazy. i am an older rider at 35 and can appreciate that extra suspension especially when things get hairy she eats everything up in its path, and is very comfortable, i feel less beat up after a ride. but i am curious what benefits i would have gained by going with a rush, maybe a little faster on the uphill?
I'm pretty much in the same category (37, although I never really considered myself "old"!) and have not been doing any jumps or stunts but still enjoy my Prophet. The biggest difference is really the weight between similar models (a 2 pound difference is just silly to worry about unless you're racing) the lower BB on the Rush which in theory should make it handle a little better (but under what conditions?). The fork on the Rush has lockout but I don't see much need for that for most trail riding. Overall, I think for the average recreational mountain bike rider there isn't going to be much difference between the Rush and Prophet. I prefer to err on the side of more travel and the slightly beefier frame on the Prophet. Also, the Prophet just felt more comfortable to me overall than the Rush. You can't go wrong with that...Just ride and enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts