Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a '98 Super V and its a great bike but I'd really like to get a little more travel. Since it was my dad's hand-me-down when he got a prophet in '05 I figured I'd talk to him about the prospect of turning it into an uber-v before I went and started buying parts/measuring/cutting it for the conversion. He talked to our LBS about it and neither of them want me to do it and they think I just need to buck up and get a newer bike and craigslist yielded what I think is a pretty sweet deal for an '06 Prophet 1000. The only mod he has done was replacing the lefty with the Marz Z1 Freeride which he said fixed a pogo-sticking problem he thought the bike had. I think he has changed the tires from the highrollers (hopefully) but I can't tell from specs or picture. He's asking $800 which is pretty close to what would need to be spent on the Uber anyways and my dad said he would help rather than watching me "butcher" the super V. So those are my options, other than saving up for a new steed eventually but being in college right now makes that a more difficult option. Thoughts/opinions are requested on whether I should pursue the Uber, Prophet, or just ride the Super til I can afford something new out of the shop with warranty and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Prophet is an excellent bike - I'd go with that option.
(however, I'm not familiar with that shock so I'm not sure it that makes the deal better or worse)

There's definitely an allure to the Uber V, but if you're dad and the LBS are more or less against it, if you run into problems you could get the dreaded "I told you so" treatment.

·
UBER Addict
192 Posts
I LOVE my UBER!

Ugh. I had the same problem when I went to any LBS and started talking about the UBER, they look at you like you're retarded, in fact most people probably will because they don't understand the UBER and just how "uber" it really is. And of course an LBS is going to say buy a new bike! duh!

Instead of just saying you need to go UBER, which of course is what my humble little opinion would be (hey! I'm an UBER addict after all!). I am going to gently urge you to do the research, read the Super V and UBER V threads, in fact, post this question in that thread, you may get more of a response. Look for more opinions on how others like the UBER, and what you can do with it. Find out for yourself and don't necessarily listen to a single opinion on the subject, ESPECIALLY not the LBS!

Here is how I feel on the UBER. You have the Super V now, free I presume. You will be very hard pressed to find a brand new FS that will perform as well as an UBER for the cost that you will put into the UBER. Sure frame design has improved since the Super V's days, and suspension design is quite a bit more advanced now as well, but the Super V design is so freaking sweet, with the additional travel by adding a modern fork and a nice rear shock with platform damping, the UBER performs just as well as any FS bike your going to get for 2 or 3 times the amount you will put into building up the UBER.

Do your research before you make any decisions, price out what it would cost to build up an UBER (my guess would be around $1000-$1200, and that's with high end suspension and mid level components), get more advice and opinions on the matter. More research, ask questions, etc. Oh, and have fun! Building up an UBER is a blast!

Oh, and about the Prophet option, cant comment on that, never rode one, but I have a feeling that a Prophet would not handle what I have been doing on the Uber very well. I guess it all kind of depends on your riding style.

PS - Uber'ing is NOT "Butchering" a Super V! That offends me! It's more of a rebirth.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I thought about puting it there but I didn't want to get off topic on a thread for posting pics of Ubers. Thinking of things that I would HAVE to buy for an uber here is what just 1 projected outcome would be:
Fox Float RP2 7.5 x 2.0 -$380
09 Marzocchi 44 ATA 100-140mm travel fork- $460
Cane Creek Double XC headset -$110
Jekyll swing arm~$200
Total= $1150
Not to mention anything that I couldn't find in my garage that I would need like potentially buying a new stem, but of course I could get used parts which could drop the price significantly. So thats what I was thinking as far as an uber build. There is the risk of messing up my frame and having to buy a new one however, and it may take quite a while of really digging around and figuring out if those are the comps I really want and waiting for a swing arm to pop up, wherease with the Prophet for a gauranteed $800 (or lower if I can haggle) then I'd be able to start riding it right away...
Oh! And I agree that it's not butcerhing it to make an Uber V!

·
UBER Addict
192 Posts
ExCactus said:
Ya I thought about puting it there but I didn't want to get off topic on a thread for posting pics of Ubers. Thinking of things that I would HAVE to buy for an uber here is what just 1 projected outcome would be:
Fox Float RP2 7.5 x 2.0 -$380
09 Marzocchi 44 ATA 100-140mm travel fork- $460
Cane Creek Double XC headset -$110
Jekyll swing arm~$200
Total= $1150
Not to mention anything that I couldn't find in my garage that I would need like potentially buying a new stem, but of course I could get used parts which could drop the price significantly. So thats what I was thinking as far as an uber build. There is the risk of messing up my frame and having to buy a new one however, and it may take quite a while of really digging around and figuring out if those are the comps I really want and waiting for a swing arm to pop up, wherease with the Prophet for a gauranteed $800 (or lower if I can haggle) then I'd be able to start riding it right away...
Oh! And I agree that it's not butcerhing it to make an Uber V!
I got my Fox Float RP2 for $160 on eBay, from a place called rocky mountain cycles (I think, its in CO), you can definitely find one cheaper.
My '07 Fox Talas RLC was $400, again on eBay.
Cane Creek Double XC Short headset $80, eBay
My swingarm was $230 from MendonCycleSmith (craig) brand new Recumbent, with warranty. I would hit him up, he may have one left still.
Also, talk with him (craig), and rw420 (Russ), I'm sure they can get parts for you pretty dang cheap too.
You're also going to need a new wheelset and disc brakes if your fork and swingarm are newer (i.e. disc brake only as mine are).

PS - This would definitely not be off topic for that thread. If you thread through it, and you definitely should, you'll see it's full of these types of posts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts