Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard of any cracks in the CNC machined swingarm main pivot block? It appears I have a tiny hairline crack running from the hole where the rear der. cable penetrates it up to the crown, about 3/4" long. I really don't know how long its been there and don't notice any unsual noises. Is this common or unusual? What do you suggest I do? I'm in Venezuela 4 hours drive from the Cannondale dealer in Caracas where I bought it from. So I can't just go and show him. That's a rough road too. The drivers down here are UNBELIEVABLE. I will not ride the bike on the street for fear of my life. Driving a car is like a High School drivers training simulator, where there is always somebody making a boneheaded move in front of you...

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
It's not usual and not normal... but don't worry, Cannondale should warranty it but a shop or a rep will need the bike, or at least the swingarm to replace it under warranty. If you want to avoid the road, call the shop and tell them, see what they say, sometimes, taking a picture of the crack and sending it by email to them or to a rep can help but in the end, they will need the real thing.

The good thing is, Cannondale has plenty of swingarms waiting for you... :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hye Dirtvet,
if you are interested i can say you that here (in Italy) i heard only one people who had a structural failed with a total crack of the swingarm.

Bye

P.S.: the Dan Gerous's suggestions about warranty are very good!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a followup - Cannondale mailed me a new swingarm, based on pictures of the crack I sent them. They said they had never seen a crack in that place before. I tip my hat to Cannondale and especially the Caracas - based Bike Shop owner Mario for pushing the issue for me. Now I'm back to dodging the rocks, cactus and crazy drivers on the road!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White Bicycle part Black Grey Metal
It was only the swing arma-campos. The aint was "close". I have an '05 clear paint. I'll try the picture here:

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's good to hear Cdale helped.

Cannondale should replace the entire frame IMO, in this particular case you were lucky with the paint being close, but what if you had a different color??

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My friend snapped his swing arm at the drop out in august. He ordered a red swingarm just to mix it up. I don't have any pic's of the red arm on the bike though. Yours is such an unlikely spot for a crack, makes you wonder what did it.

My friends prophet-

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Lol tell me about it. All these crackages and snappages (Is that a word?) are making me wonder what you guys were doing???

As far as your friends Prophet goes, I think the blue and red would look sweet... What with the red grips, seat clamp qr, tyres... Nice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.