Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding XL size Prophet with I guess unusually long 140mm stem: http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/142847

It feels great but I want to try a 70mm stem to allow me to hang further back behind the seat on the downhill sections.

Now the bike even has Saint rear hub (to fix the not fixable frame flex) with Saint RD and 8" disc (yes, cranks are Saint too) totaling weight about 33lb. I could go back to XT wheel and RD and save some weight but I don't think I would feel a difference with my body weight around 190lb. For my style and terrain here the bike component may be an overkill but it should last a long time. Well that was my excuse for the setup.

Now, I am thinking if 50mm stem for XC/AM riding would be too short. Should I go with 70mm instead? I only have one shot with the prices of Thomson stems. :crazy:
So 50 or 70?

Also I am tempted to got with 31.8 instead of 25.4 handlebars....my current 25.4 handlebars have some flex when I push hard, not sure if all 25.4 do it and if it is necessary a bad thing.

Thanks!

·
ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
245 Posts
Are you going to use your bike more for all mountain or xc? I have an 08 Prophet 2 in med. I say if your into more the xc side, I'd say go a little long on the stem, 100mm, 110mm, (whatever feels good to you) that will help keep you over the front end, and help with climing... If you are more into the all mountain/freeride, I say go a little shorter. It will help keep you over the rear end of the bike. I could have gone with a large Prophet, but I'm more into all mountain/freeride, so I went with a med, with about 3.5 in = 88.9mm stem. I didn't want to go too short. 'Cause I still need to climb with this bike...
The best thing you could do is to go to your LBS, they have the best tools and information to get you fitted up right... A fitted ride is a pleasant ride... :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That are all good advices. What about the handlebars? I see some 25.4 being designated for DH so they got to be pretty sturdy in comparison with my flexy cheap handlebars? It seems to me that for AM 25.4 should be plenty, yes/no? or should I just go with burly 31.8?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think if you have the opportunity to buy a new stem/bar combo you might as well go with the 31.8. That is starting to become a lot more common. Looks a bit cooler IMO as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you were smart, you would go visit an LBS and ask to borrow one of their crap fit stems. Are you not running a Lefty...only asking because you are considering Thomson stems. I like 50mm stems for big travel bikes; 6"+. I'd say 70mm, but try both and see what you like...then order the proper size Thomson. If you are after a good 31.8mm handlebar, check out the new Control Tech SUP handlebars, they are tripple butted 7075 aluminum which make for a light and stiff handlebar that is not too expensive...I paid $25 for mine and couldn't be happier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.