Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I just bought a slightly used prophet frame off ebay. The ad said "no dents or dings", but when it arrived I noticed there´s a small dent running vertically across the swingarm on the right hand side.

There were no signs of abuse on the packaging and the "handmade in usa" sticker was missing on that side, still the guy claims to not know of this and now ignores my e-mails, but that´s another story..

Is this dangerous to ride with? It feels like it doesn´t weaken the swingarm much, and not vertically which is where it will take the abuse. I´ll want to do some drops on it but nothing big.

A bit disappointed to have bought such a beautiful frame and then discover this.. :(

What do you recommend me to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Did you buy it off Ebay? As in did you complete the Ebay check out process, not work something out off Ebay? Did you use Paypal?

What do you want from the seller, do you want a full refund, partial refund or what?

You can file a report through Ebay/Paypal and you will get a response, but you have to figure out what direction you want to go.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I bought it off ebay, payed using paypal.

I´d rather keep the frame if it´s rideable(which I´m not sure) but get a substantial/partial refund as the second hand value of a dented frame is close to zero.

If it´s not rideable I´d want a new swingarm and if that´s not possible I´ll have to return it.

My main question is about the seriousness of the damage though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks like something big and solid has whacked it..........

Could be miss-aligned now.....thats not the kinda ding you will get on a trail....

If you used Paypal....you are emtilted to buyer protection.....http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/problems-ov.html

If you still have the packaging keep hold of it for evidence..........

Please post the listing number or details........

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ebay item no is 140217401075. And I still have the packaging and original parcel.
"Condition
The frame is in good shape- all threads and bearings are working perfectly. The Fox shock is brand new and works as a brand new shock should. The frame has very little wear- a few small scratches, no dents or dings at all. It will definitely shine up nice and be a good looking bike for you.
"

So you think I should try to return it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What if it comes down to words, and he says the accident happened in shipping and I say that´s not likely since a) there are no marks on the packaging and b) the sticker is missing where it would have been scratched on the dent?

How does ebay/paypal handle this sort of dispute?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Was it shipped UPS? Then it was insured. If the guy says it wasn't like that when he shipped it then file a claim with UPS. If it was shipped through USPS I hope it was insured, if so file a claim. If not, go directly to Paypal and file a dispute. I have done this before and gotten good results. If the guy wants to do business on Ebay he will have to make it right. Its a simple process and they do most of the work. Good luck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It looks like you can see the ding in the one pic if you look carefully. It's not something you would notice originally, you may want to save those pics in case he deletes the listing or something. I would ask for a partial refund or a full refund, try to work it out with him, if he doesn't respond, file a report with Paypal and Ebay. If he wants to continue using Paypal it's not something he can ignore. I've been through it before as a seller.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Why does the guy charge 5% for insurance? That's $30 on a $600 frame, when the insurance probably costs $7-8, really lame.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes, I too can clearly see the dent on ebay pic. This damage was there prior to being shipped. This was a big impact to the frame! Such frame is worth the price of a used shock (I know the ad says it is new but we know how things works on ebay, right?), the frame is worthless.

This guy sold tons of bike stuff and I can't see how he could miss such a thing. He knowingly sold you a damaged frame and deserves a negative feedback.

Once you get your refund I hope you have guts to leave negative.

Go to your LBS and order a new frame with local support and lifetime warranty. Or get a whole bike and sell the parts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Condition
The frame is in good shape- all threads and bearings are working perfectly. The Fox shock is brand new and works as a brand new shock should. The frame has very little wear- a few small scratches, no dents or dings at all. It will definitely shine up nice and be a good looking bike for you.

Thats all the evidence you need to return it for a full refund...Plus postage of sending it back......

He has sold an item not as described.....

Pics defo show the dings........

·
Registered
190 Posts
Get something that you know is 100% flat and straight edged....just long enuff to hold it accros,spanning the ding....

If there is a big gap either side of the ding the the arm has defo bent outwards and will be miss-alighed.........send it back

If it s still straight across the arm and just dips where the ding is then its just superficial and hasent stressed the arm......so will be ok.......but still ask for a partial refund

·
Registered
190 Posts
ozvena said:
:nono:

How do you know that the rest of the frame is OK????
True.......somthing substantial has clobbered the frame....its not worth the risk............

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you look at the sellers feedback history, you'll see that he's buying full bikes and parting them out. You might actually be able to find the transaction/listing from when he bought the full bike, and it would be pretty damning if that listing disclosed the damage...

Edit:
Here's the listing where the seller of the frame bought the whole bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150213197621

"This bike is in Great overall condition usual wear and tear- few scratches and 1little ding on swingarm"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good work there jdr01930.............:thumbsup:

Thats sealed it then...........hes knowingly sold you a frame stating "No dents or dings atall"......which it clearly has.....:nono:

and as further proof of this,we have the previouse listing of the bike confirmed by discription and pics......

Copy and save both listings with the larger pics and save to disc so its safe.......or print it all off

Now you have all the proff you need..............:cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
jdr01930 said:
If you look at the sellers feedback history, you'll see that he's buying full bikes and parting them out. You might actually be able to find the transaction/listing from when he bought the full bike, and it would be pretty damning if that listing disclosed the damage...

Edit:
Here's the listing where the seller of the frame bought the whole bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150213197621

"This bike is in Great overall condition usual wear and tear- few scratches and 1little ding on swingarm"
Good one, nice find. If the OP wants a full refund I think he has everything here to demand one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts