Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding with another Prophet owner, he complained that he could see the seat tube and seatstays move side to side relative to each other. He claimed that the bike did not do this when it was new.

Now I seem to remember that my Prophet has always had some side to side movement between the seat tube and seatstays from the very first test ride. I do not understand how you would not have this motion with a single pivot swing arm. Any small amount of flex at the pivot will be amplified as you travel up the seat tube. When the seat tube passes between the seatstays the relative motion between the two would be apparent.

So if you own a Prophet and you are riding along a flat section of single track sitting in the saddle and look down along the seat tube, do you also see some side to side movement of the seat tube relative to the seatstays?

ZIT30/34

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Z,
I'll be out on my Prophet tomorrow. I'll check out what your saying, we'll be riding on frozen crust doing about 28 miles all single track. My Prophet is an '07 4 pretty much stock. I've had no flexing issues at all, that baby has been plenty stiff in the back end.
But I'll post back and let you know.

Moe

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't see it either. I have a 2005 Prophet and weigh 205 lbs. My suggestion is to check your swing arm bearings. They're cheap to replace at a bike shop. Get the best bearings too. The stock ones didn't last me a year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input - where do I order good bearings?

Good day all,

I found my issue, the bearings are okay but they had shifted in the mounts. One bearing was seated fulling towards the inside of the mount the other was more centered.

Fortunately I live in Red Neck heaven and have a friend next door with not only a backhoe for removing snow but a fully functional machine shop. So I pulled the swing arm and took some home made jam next door and within an hour, the bearings were set correctly and no more flex.

I think the root cause was on the first long ride with in days of purchasing the bike, the pivot pin nut spun loose. I didnt catch it until I was putting the bike in the truck.

I have ordered replacement bearings from Cannondale.

Who else supplies a good bearing?

Please advise!

ZIT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.