Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody
I am currently thinking about changing my Nomad for a Prophet. I just have a few questions that I thought you might help me answer:

Size: I´m 183 cm high...sould I get a M or a L?
Weight: Does anybody know how much a prophet frame weighs? Regular prophet and the MX version; does anybody know how much the weight difference is?
Regular or MX: Do you have any suggestions? I´m going to use this as my only bike. I ride mainly XC with focus on going down fast and jumping the occasional obstacle :)

I hope you can help me decide on my next frame.

Best Regards, Emil

·
Registered
728 Posts
Go MX! If you are going to do any jumping, the minor weight added is worth it. I have beat the crap out of mine. It does not seem to slow me down on long XC rides. At 6' you are probably an L. My bro is you height, and my med is a bit small for him.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might add that my rear wheel is a CK with funbolts, så the 12mm axle of the MX is of no use to me. If i go MX I plan to make two small bushings to make the 10mm funbolts fit the 12mm hole.

What is the difference in frame build between the two versions besides the 12mm axle?

Does anybody know id cannondale sells frames and if they come with the "spacer-headset" to accomodate regular forks?

regards, Emil

·
Registered
387 Posts
Funny that, almost everyone I meet says that the Nomad is too much bike for them ;)

That being the case I personally would reccomend the regular Prophet if you're only doing smallish jumps and drop offs etc, it's been plenty strong enough for me. Unless you are going to get into much more freeride type stuff I'd say that the regular Prophet would be plenty of bike for you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vpp works great

the vpp works really great..no problem!

And in regards to being crazy, I plan on only buying the frame and swap all my bling, bling parts onto this frame.

Any more comments on the size? I you own a prophet please state your hight and frame size?:thumbsup:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
WonderBoy said:
What is the difference in frame build between the two versions besides the 12mm axle?
Apart from the Thru-12, the MX has ISCG tabs around the BB shell and a gusset under the downtube at the headtube junction to make it a bit stronger and to allow taller forks and their additional leverage forces. The MX will weigh more, but not that much. The full MX bikes are heavier due the components used more than the frame difference.
WonderBoy said:
Does anybody know id cannondale sells frames and if they come with the "spacer-headset" to accomodate regular forks?
Cannondale sell framesets but as to what comes with it, I'm not sure but there are a few good options to use a 1.125" fork, just don't use reducers, use a headset that directly fits the frame and that fits a 1.125" steerer... Or get a Lefty Max! Best 140mm travel fork out there. If you need more travel, it might be worth looking at OnePointFive forks. Before, only Manitou had the bigger steerer but now, Rock Shox and Marz use it too... Fox, I'm not sure. But all of those will make the bike heavier than if you use a Lefty.

·
It's a Sledgehammer.
357 Posts
I am the same height as you (183 = 6ft) and I recently sized the prophet at the store.
The seat tube is too short on the medium, top tube seems way shorter than the measured 23 as well, Large fit better... but I'll put a shorter stem on, so I opted for large. I have 33" inseam.

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
You're definitely going to get some varied opinions on sizing. I am 6ft and ride a medium prophet. I am long in the legs and short in the torso though. Have owned the Prophet with no issues for a couple years with thousands of all-type miles. Great bike for some XC and technical terrain including some drops. My 05 800 Medium weighs in at 31 with minor mods.
I would go with a Medium and the Std Prophet, not the MX. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
WonderBoy said:
Hi Dan Gerous

Do you know the exact weight on the respective frames? Also, do you have some sizing input?

Regards, Emil
I don't know the exact weights but I would guess the difference between both to be less than a pound.

As for sizing, it's always hard to tell from a forum on the internet, one should really try it out to find the correct size unless you have a lot of experience and sizing knowledge. I know what I like so I could order a frame by looking at the numbers but even if you were the exact same size as me, it doesn't mean we like the same size of frames. We all ride with different style and different techniques so I would urge you to go at least sit on both the medium and the large at a LBS.

But since you ride mainly XC, at 183cm, I would probably go with the large. People more into jumps and freeride tend to like shorter cockpits but a longer bike usually works better for climbing and riding XC style. On a bike like the Prophet, I tend to prefer being between my optimal XC size and a more Freeride/jumping size so it handles anything. I would like a longer cockpit if I were to buy a Rush or a Scalpel though. Again, that's just me, sizing is very personnal...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mtbidwell said:
You're definitely going to get some varied opinions on sizing. I am 6ft and ride a medium prophet. I am long in the legs and short in the torso though. Have owned the Prophet with no issues for a couple years with thousands of all-type miles. Great bike for some XC and technical terrain including some drops. My 05 800 Medium weighs in at 31 with minor mods.
I would go with a Medium and the Std Prophet, not the MX. Good Luck!:thumbsup:
Why not the MX version?

Another reason I´m considering the MX is that I run a single ring and an E-13 light guide and the MX has ISCG mounts... not a biggie, but never the less a nice thing. I am mainly concerned with the weight difference but have not been able to find the weight for the two frame versions. I guess the perfect frame would be MX front and STD rear due to my 10mm funbolts...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
size

Hi Dan

I currently have a large Nomad, and the TT lenght is almost exactly beween Large/medium Prophet:

TT: Large Nomad: 61cm, Large Prophet: 62,5cm, Medium Prophet: 60.0 :rolleyes:

I´ll have do do a little history diggin and see what lenght my latest frames had...If my memory serves me right, i think it is around 60cm with a 90mm stem...only know I use a 70mm stem...chouses, choises...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.