Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your Prophet has the following swingarm codes you may at some point experiance a noise similar to that of a lose bottombracket cup:

5DPTSP00
5DPTSJ00

The noise issue is delineated in Cannodale Prophet/Rush Tech Note 118766.PDF.

The fix is a new swingarm from Cannondale. This is no longer possible as Cannodale is no longer producing the Prophet swingarm and apparently there are none available from dealer stock.

Now the noise is rare and as stated in the Tech Note "The condition is caused by a small non-structural plate located inside the swingarm between the main pivot and seat stays. When the plate moves under a load, it rubs against the pocket in which it rests. This creates a "creaking or clicking sound."

Now I dont know why that out of 6 mountain bikes I own, I always pick the Cannodale Prophet to ride. I have two Cainfield's that I may put two rides each a year on but the Prophet is my go to bike and its the 1400 USD model! The only upgrade I gave the bike was to swap out a 14 USD bottom bracket for a Surly crankset and turn the bike into a 1X9. Why I love this bike so I cannot say, other than its more fun to ride than the others or it best fits my riding style.

As such, when my hotbox begain making the noise I went to Cannodale and they offered me a new frame. Forget which model, but I dont need a new frame, I have too many unbuilt frames (including two never built up Richard Sachs fixed gear frames from 1978), so upon verifying that the plate noise is not a structural flaw, I shot the hotbox full of 3 and 1 Silicon spray and hung the bike by the front fork for 4 hours to drain and then I shot the hotbox full of Silicon spray again (I used the rear shift cable enterence as the fill point) and hung it by the swing arm for four hours. I then cleaned up the frame, mounted the wheels and no noise!

Now, please NOTE: the Cannodale Technical Rep I talked to was not too happy about my fix --- but I clean the bike often and will check for cracks if this lose plate does begin to cause a structural issue.

If you have a Prophet with this Hotbox Noise Issue and find a replacement swingarm be sure to ask the seller to verify that the swingarm code is NOT one of the below:

5DPTSP00
5DPTSJ00

I have found two Prophet swingarms for sale, one on Ebay and one on Craig's List and they had these bad codes.

ZIT30/34

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had the creaking from my hotbox and Cannondale did replace the swingarm at no charge. What frame did they offer you in replacement? What about the labour cost of reassrmbly? I'd really like to know these as I love my Prophet also but would want to upgrade to a Moto only if I have to.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hmm... I'll have to check mine out. It started making some noise on my last ride before the snow hit out here on the east cost. I'd be interested to know what they are offering as a replacement frame for the prophet... I assume it would be the RZ 140...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do not remember what frame was offered as replacement

I am sorry but my wife and I do not remember what frame Cannondale offered as a replacement. I also do not know if Cannondale would pay for the labor to build up the frame.

ZIT30/34

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.